Oscillosopes

wgrr · 5809

Offline wgrr

on: January 09, 2010, 07:33:57 AM
Any recommendations.  I want an appropriate unit while I learn how to use an oscilloscope in audio applications. The different specs of the oscilloscopes I have been looking at are mind-bogling.  I just want a good oscilloscope that will work in the audio environment.  I am not opposed to computer based units, if good ones exist at a reasonable price.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Now I have a lot of reading to do. :~)

Bill Ricker 

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:44:44 AM
Just about any working oscilloscope will be good for audio.  All of them have much higher frequency responses than standard audio gear.  There were several good posts on the old board for online scope use tutorials.  I can't find the bookmarks I had, sorry! 

Offline JC

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:49:42 AM
Keep an eye out on the big box houses.  I bought a dual-trace 20 Meg scope for under $400.  Off brand?  You bet!  But, plenty of bandwidth for audio work, and it's been going for 5 years now.  

I would also like to try one of the computer based set-ups for their ability to store measurements, but I don't know enough about them to choose an accurate one.  I am not sure I trust the average computer audio card to be the front end of a piece of test gear, so that kind of let's out the software-only choices.

Jim C.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:18:19 AM
I know several guys who have bought a used Tektronix oscilloscope for about $100.  They are out there at that price used.  You just have to look.

Offline vikbot

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:58:12 AM
I have this old Heath Scope Model IM-18...built like a tank!

Offline rif

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:27:49 AM
I used to have a Tektronix 7 series I got from ebay. I think I paid under $100. They're totally analog and you can buy lots of plug-ins to add functionality.

-david

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:51:00 AM
I have this old Heath Scope Model IM-18...built like a tank!

The IM-18 is a VTVM. I assume you mean IO-18?