RIP Doc Watson

ironbut · 1438

Offline ironbut

on: May 29, 2012, 10:15:49 PM
After I first saw Doc and Merle in Buffalo NY in 1970, I never thought about acoustic guitar the same way again.
Always an inspiration and pure pleasure to listen to.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/doc-watson-dies-remembering-the-legendary-guitarist-through-the-post-archives/2012/05/29/gJQAOpBP0U_blog.html

steve koto

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:29:39 AM
God Bless!  I met Doc and Merle about 1972.  He was a real gentleman, Merle was the quiet one.

Offline kgoss

Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:29:53 PM
Yes Doc was a real gentleman as well as an amazing musician.
He lived in Deep Gap, NC, about 20 miles away from me, and I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him.  That is the best tribute I can give him.

After his son Merle was killed in the eighties they started a music festival at Wilkes Community College to raise money to build a garden of the senses.  Doc was blind if you didn't know and the garden was filled with plants that had distinct smells and textures of the leaves.  When musicians found out about it a bunch of them volunteered to play in honor of Merle because they were Doc's friends.  They knew what kind of man Doc was and were happy to help him any way they could.  Over the past 25 years Merlefest has grown into a very big event and it is now a major source of funding for the College.  Doc's friends were always there to help him out like he helped others.  I still remember seeing this little girl about 15 years old or so perform with Doc.  Her voice was amazing and she played a mean fiddle too.  Alison Krauss has gone on to her own fame, but she would play with Doc whenever she got the chance.  Just like all of his friends would. 

God bless Doc, and rest in peace.

Ken Goss