Need suggestions on a Variac

rockpassion · 3486

Offline rockpassion

on: August 02, 2013, 05:58:25 PM
Hello all,

I am in need of buying a variac to use on my very old IPC AM-1026 amp restoration.  What size and make is recommended.  I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars but I also do not want something that is too limited.  I guess my budget is $50 to $150.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:05:57 PM
There are always great used ones on eBay. Sometimes the little carbon brush can wear down, becoming bigger and contacting several coils at once. I have an old Power Stat thats rated for 10 amps that I picked up for cheap and I had to disassemble it and file the brush back to a point. I don't have much experience with the newer ones, although they look slick with their output meters and multiple outlets.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:20:53 AM
If you can get to a Ham Fest you will find a number of them there.  What you need is one that has meters for voltage and current.  That way you can bring up the voltage and watch for a surge in current.  A surge indicates a short that is going to mess up the whole works. 

Bring it up in several steps.  Say start at 40V and leave it sitting for 5 minutes.  It forms the capacitors.  Then go to 80V, slowly, and let it sit for another 5 minutes.  Then slowly to 110V.  If it is an old amp it isn't quite designed for 120V or higher that we all have coming into our houses today.  That is why I also suggest buying a higher voltage for all the capacitors.  We run over 10% higher voltage today, the caps need to be 10-15% higher too.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:47:38 PM
Grainger,

What about current rating?  Should it be 5, 10, 15, 20 amp.  And is there a make that I should look for.  I definitely am sticking with US made such as Powerstat or Staco. 

Thanks again for your help.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline STURMJ

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:10:26 PM
You need to consider what you are using it for (how many amps do you need). and don't forget to consider you circuit breakers rating (usually 10A).

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:44:01 PM
5A is probably all you need, have a look at the fuses on the gear you want to test.

If I found a good deal on a 10A, I would buy it, but that's just me :D...John

John S.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:10:32 AM
Look at the fuse on your amplifier.  Whatever that is you need that or more.  5A is usually enough.

4krow

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 08:43:24 AM
  G, I had some of the same questions and appreciate your information. Current AND voltage meters sound to be a much better indicator than current or voltage alone. Also, the ham fest idea is great. I have only been to one in Arizona years back, and was very impressed by these guys and their equipment.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:48:53 PM
The one I have does either current or voltage.  So I can measure with my meter how the voltage is coming up and watch with the meter set at current for any sudden increases.

4krow

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 08:07:18 AM
Sudden increases are a bummer, except in the stock market.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 08:52:14 AM
...or one's paycheck...

;D