My Quicky is behaving stangely [solved]

Zimmer64 · 3507

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
on: September 01, 2013, 05:09:35 AM
Since some time now my Quickie produces a strong hum as soon as my hand is getting close to the tubes. When I move my hand away, everything is back to normal. It sounds like pretty noticeable AC hum. I can't even adjust the volume without hum. I switched tubes, changed cables - nothing changed. Any idea?

Best

Michael
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:36:12 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:05:44 AM
Run a wire from the chassis of your source component to the shell of one of the RCA jacks on the Quickie.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 08:19:44 AM
That solved the problem! Thanks a lot! I now also figured out, that this only happens with my iPod Classic attached. All my "real" sources are fine....

Thanks again.

Michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

4krow

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:51:15 AM
 I think that this might be just the place topost an observation. I too, had a problem with my Q. It sounded overdriven and I queried the sages here about the probablilities(yah it's a word in MY world). I was told to check voltages and resistances. Dam, they all checked out. Shortinging (yes, another word in my head) the story a bit, here is the truth. With the Quickie, I was feeding Carver C9 unit, and in turn, the C9 fed my amp. Many years ago, this may have worked, but the Carver unit has an input that clips after about 1.4 Volts. The Q puts out up to 3.5 volts. See folks, back in the day that the Carver unit was made, output voltages from units like say tape decks were 1 volt, and everybody was happy. Now days, a CD player puts out more like 2 volts and thats a game changer. Mixing components, like alcohol, can end up in tears, a lesson that has to be learned and re-learned. Of course my point here is that remember how the Q is being used, IN CONTEXT. Ok, with that, I'm off to see my team of therapists.

4krow

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:25:46 AM
  Good Lord, I have an another observation to post here! Yup, kind of a Quickie thing too. The balance was off in my system, and i suspected the Quickie first(I am so sorry, it won't happen again).  Turns out to be another one of my famous soldering jobs in an integrated that I slightly modded. Funny how we have our prejudices, isn't it. So many connections, so little time.

Offline charger

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:27:57 AM
I can hear a very low hum in the boxes due to the Q , can I ran a cable from the negative of one rca of the Q and attach it to the amp case ?

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline charger

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:32:50 AM
I just tried to run a cable from negative to amp chassis but nothing , hum is still there , can't understand where it comes from

Oppo 980H - PC - Arcam rDac- Bottlehead Quickie- Abletec ALC040 - Signal cables Atlas Element Integra-speakers cables Tellerium Q black-Martin Logan Motion 15

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:48:04 AM
Have you tried to run the cable to the source rather than your amp?

Offline corndog71

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:37:49 AM
I just tried to run a cable from negative to amp chassis but nothing , hum is still there , can't understand where it comes from

Describe your system.  Maybe we can figure it out from that.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline charger

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 07:41:54 AM
yes tried to link at dac but doesn't work  , my system is dac ,Quickie, Abletec ALC0240 amp