Low hum from my crack

meeklo062704 · 5413

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:37:21 PM

.... I didn't remember that Crack is delivered with stranded wire ....

It isn't.  No doubt just another unfortunate byproduct of the rampant cable upgrade shilling on head-fi.

Mike M.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 04:37:24 AM
It isn't.  No doubt just another unfortunate byproduct of the rampant cable upgrade shilling on head-fi.

Then I should comment:

Think about this guys, the same gauge of solid wire is smaller than the same gauge of stranded wire, there is space between the strands of the stranded.

Stranded wire doesn't "form" like solid wire does.  Forming allows you to put the heater wires flat against the chassis plate, thus decreasing the chance of hum pickup.  It also allows you to route the wires so signals cross DC and AC feeds at 90 degrees.

Increasing the gauge wire within any Bottlehead product makes no sense as increased gauge only improves current carrying ability.  Trust me, us, Bottlehead doesn't undersize their wire.  Larger wire, be it either larger gauge solid or same gauge stranded, is much harder to get through tube pins and terminals, as witnessed in the pictures on page one. 

I'm not one that eschews stranded wire because of skin effects or any other pseudo science.  It has its place.  In power feeds, and most interconnects it is a must.  Stranded is flexible, solid isn't.

Ok, end of sermon.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:39:25 AM by Grainger49 »