Is there a good way to add a mono switch to Eros?

Jim R. · 3215

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: October 09, 2013, 05:45:51 AM
Is there a good, safe way to add a mono switch to the Eros?

If there is, I'd like to plan in advance of building the kit in case it needs any mods to things that will be difficult to get to afterwards.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:34:24 AM
I would do it at the output, after the output capacitors.  (highest voltage, least noise susceptibility)  Others will surely disagree.  Just take a SPST switch and use it to short the left to the right in one position.  In the other position it leaves everything as it is.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:19:54 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:57:02 AM
Well, I'm just not sure if that's the best way to go but I have considered it. If I did take that approach I'd only use a SPST switch though.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:22:59 AM
I misspoke, you need a DPST.  You need to be able to combine the right and left channel, so DP is the way to go.  You only need DPST but could, of course, use a DPDT.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:20:57 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:27:51 AM
I misspoke, you need a DPST.  You need to be able to combine the right and left channel, so DP is the way to go.  You only need DPST but could, of course, use a DPDT.

Nah, you can just switch one channel into the other, the DPDT switch isn't necessary.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:21:12 AM
Now after coffee I see that you could feed the right to one lug of a SPST switch and the left to the other.  When the switch is on you have mono.  I just wasn't seeing that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:21:49 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 07:59:55 PM
It would be better to do the switching at the grid of the last stage.  Otherwise the difference signal sees an unnaturally low load impedance, causing distortion in the tubes even though that difference signal is cancelled in the net output. The same goes for the Seduction/Reduction.

Such a switch is at a high impedance node and thus in danger of picking up hum and noise - keep the leads as short as possible. That may make positioning the switch difficult! Be prepared to move the switch r wires to find a suitable location - you are not guaranteed to find the best position the first try!

Edited 2018 May 26:
It's now 5 years later, and I looked again at the circuit. I do NOT, at this point, recommend ANY mono switch in the Eros.

Back then I must have missed the problem that would occur when the EF86 plates are connected together. The bias servos would interfere with each other.

The intermediate connection (grids of the second stage) should work with Seduction/Reduction since the stages are cap-coupled and the RIAA equalization has a large series resistance at the first stage outputs, which isolates them from each other.

In some cases, it can be done with little or no sonic damage in a preamp, but that depends on the particular circuit.

A general-purpose circuit to work with any preamp/amp would necessarily involve some loss of gain, complicating the design and system.

I'll go edit my old post.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:17:21 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa