Switch Box idea

Downhome Upstate · 1495

Offline Downhome Upstate

on: December 01, 2013, 03:12:15 AM
3 in, 2 out, top-mounted jacks to minimize tension for those with not-so-easy-to-bend interconnects for BH gear (mine are Belden 89259 coax from BJC). Uses a NKK 4PDT On-Off-On mini toggle switch and 2 deck, 6 position rotary selector, both with silver-plated contacts (not pictured). Wiring is about 4 ft. ea. of soft-annealed solid silver 24 ga. and 22 ga. from Handmade Electronics. Total cost was about $113, exclusive of tax and shipping, less if you use copper or silver-plated copper.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:02:30 AM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:58:54 AM
That reminds me of another project that took on a life of it's own.  Same chassis, 2 separate 2in/6out or 6in/2out.  DC controlled relays short path to I/O RCA's using silver plated copper solid wire Teflon coated.  Each selector side has a switchable processor loop if needed.  At the time I had gone on an ebay binge testing RTR decks to use with a Bottlehead Repro.  I could patch the sides together with short cables as needed for maximum flexibility.  Low power DC walwart to switch relays totally isolated from signal circuit.  Boards were kits that are no longer available, but you can find similar I/O boards on the www. Never had an issue with hum or noise.

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:56:44 AM
That reminds me of another project that took on a life of it's own.  Same chassis, 2 separate 2in/6out or 6in/2out.  DC controlled relays short path to I/O RCA's using silver plated copper solid wire Teflon coated.  Each selector side has a switchable processor loop if needed.  At the time I had gone on an ebay binge testing RTR decks to use with a Bottlehead Repro.  I could patch the sides together with short cables as needed for maximum flexibility.  Low power DC walwart to switch relays totally isolated from signal circuit.  Boards were kits that are no longer available, but you can find similar I/O boards on the www. Never had an issue with hum or noise.

Very cool! Cost?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline Tubejack

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 06:50:54 AM
Taxing my memory from 2006 .... I think the selector board kits were about $45 each, from USA.  40 x cost of your favorite RCA ( I didn't use cheap ones.).  Had the wall wart.  Selector switches SP/6T nothing special as they just switch DC to the relays. Biggest cost for my implementation was probably the case which I ordered from Par-Metals.  I provided the dimensional dwg and they drilled the back panel for the RCA's.  Had wire, LED, terminal strips, hex head hardware, other switches, etc.  SWAG $225-250 at the time.  I wasn't really trying to drive a price point, goal was max flexibility of I/O with least sonic impact.

A quick search on eBay shows similar relay boards even cheaper .... http://www.ebay.com/bhp/audio-relay

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:44 PM
Well, I'm done. And it works (left channel in remains left channel out). Had to put together 2 pr of 1.5 ft interconnects to hook it up. That was interesting. Terminated some Belden 89259 with Neotech OFC copper RCA's. It took a while before I had that down.

Now to bypass the selector switch in the Stereomour and go directly to the volume pot, and get a cooler looking knob for the new selector switch.  8)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:48:06 PM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.