Can somebody describe the layout of the Eros for me?

Jim R. · 2362

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: November 30, 2011, 05:53:01 AM
Could somebody just give me a qquick rundown on where things on the top plate are located?  I don't need any details on what's under the hood except to know if it's possible to cut the height of the base down some, and about how much?

Getting a bit gight for space in my rack where the Eros will go and I figure there's nothing too huge under the hood -- like iron or big caps, so hoping the height can be reduced a bit.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:25 AM
Jim,

The front has two inputs flanking the ground lug.  Moving back you have the three audio tubes, the 6922 in the middle.  On the right side are the two output RCA jacks and at the rear is the transformer.  The regulator tube is close to the transformer and in front of it.

Below the tallest thing is the heat sink on the three pin regulator for the heater circuit.  I think there isn't much to cut from the base.  They are on the standard Bottlehead standoffs but I'm playing now and can't safely invert it. 

I put mine on spikes but the top measures about six inches from the bottom of the base.  I say about because I can't pull it out now.  I think there is only about one half inch you can cut from the base and still put the feet on for cooling.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:19:46 AM
Thanks, Grainger -- forgot about that heat sink.

My shelf has about 8 inches of vertical clearance so even a half inch could be useful as I don't want hot tubes too close to the bottom of the wood shelf.

How are you liking 8:30?

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:43:56 AM
The power supply PC board is on 3/4-inch spacers; call it 1.0 inch from the chassis plate allowing for nuts, lockwashers, and the PC board thickness. The heat sink is 2 inches tall, so a total of 3 inches. The base is 3.5 inches (i.e.1x4 stock), and the feet are about 1/4 inch. Be aware that the heat sink gets pretty hot, estimated about 100 degrees C (212 F) - you don't want it TOO close to the shelf!

Paul Joppa

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:46 AM
Thanks, Paul.

Guess I may have to rethink my gear layout on the rack.  I'm thinking I may have to put the TT on this 8" high shelf, the amp on top, and the dacs/Eros on the bottom, which has 10" clearance.

The upside of this is that it will be very easy to swap the stereomour for the shindo as the stereomour with EML tand JJ tubes is also a bit too close to the shelf above for me to be happy with it.

The TT on the middle shelf will also prevent the cat from jumping on it as it plays -- which has never happened, but I don't want to start now :-).  Fortunately the TT is a pretty low profile design and once setup, should be very easy to work within the given clearance.

Thanks both of you for the input -- glad I asked.

-- Jim