Help with fuses blowing at startup

Ankaret · 9037

Offline Ankaret

Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 12:36:32 PM
Im clearly not good with the technical stuff, so hopefully it's whatever version would go to US customers. I live in Seattle.

And right now the only option that would guarantee my having something to plug my headphones in and enjoy listening to my records would be $200 + shipping two ways which Im guessing would be in the ballpark of $250, which is essentially the price of another crack kit or another amp...ramen noodles and credit cards here I come I guess.

Offline Ankaret

Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 12:38:15 PM
but NightFlight that would be really helpful if you wanted to take it off my hands and if that would be alright with the bottlehead folks of course.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 12:49:50 PM
Not to make too much of this, but if you guys are doing a deal you need to do it through PMs. There are no for sale or wanted posts allowed on the forum. Secondly, you are in Seattle? I didn't know that. Why don't you just bring the amp over to our shop? PB can work with you to check it out and give you guidance on how to do the repair. The most it would cost you is the price of the transformer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline NightFlight

Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 12:59:36 PM
Hey man, there you go! Solved.  I for one wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see the shop and meet the folk.

Sorry Doc. We did PM, but I also wanted to be open about it as well. I tried to PM you directly but the site appears not to currently accept  PMs to you.  But.. its all moot.

Offline Ankaret

Reply #64 on: June 14, 2014, 11:54:03 AM
Hi Doc.

That would be a nice option to just bring it over to you guys and buy the transformer there and get it working with your help.
When could I come by? You guys aren't around on Sundays are you?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #65 on: June 15, 2014, 07:35:00 AM
Yeah, Sundays we are closed. 

This coming week, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday are great! 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ankaret

Reply #66 on: June 15, 2014, 12:14:16 PM
Ok, this Monday (tomorrow) morning not so good?

If not, Ill either try to come early Tuesday (you guys open at 10am, right?) or more likely in the afternoon Wednesday. What's the latest Wednesday that you'd be there PB? Or earliest Tuesday morning?

Thanks, really looking forward to visiting!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #67 on: June 15, 2014, 03:29:04 PM
Tuesday morning - 10:00 AM or later looks good. 
Wednesday afternoon - I'd like to leave the office by 6 if possible.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Ankaret

Reply #68 on: June 16, 2014, 06:20:04 PM
Great, Ill try to swing by around 3pm on Wednesday since I get off a little early that day.

Offline Ankaret

Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:30 PM
Bummer, too much work tomorrow. Ill either try Friday or definitely some day next week.

PB, what days might you be in next week?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #70 on: June 18, 2014, 05:05:07 AM
I am available at any time next week except Monday and Thursday.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #71 on: June 21, 2014, 06:42:49 AM
The amp came in to the shop yesterday. The reversed rectifier diode had indeed shorted the primary winding of the power transformer, heating it to the point that the label and black tape on the coil had actually bubbled up from the coil itself.

The backwards diode had already been replaced. I put in a new transformer, checked over the rest of the assembly - which was very neat with excellent solder joints - did resistance and voltage checks and we had her playing some Ayron Jones and the Way before she left the shop.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Ankaret

Reply #72 on: June 22, 2014, 01:02:39 PM
As Doc B. said, taking the trip to Bottlehead HQ was well beyond worth it. Thanks again very much for spending the time looking it over and putting in the new transformer for me. Listening to it the last few days has been absolutely amazing! The amp paired with 650s is kind of re-defining music listening for me right now, I couldn't be happier.

Super blown away by the service walking into Bottlehead. I don't think Ive had that good of an experience anywhere else before, as soon as I showed up Dan basically dropped whatever was going on and prioritized his time and full attention to looking the amp over and working with it until it was up and running and even safely taped and packed for my return trip. Wow. Thanks so much! Also nice to know that it wasn't a totally screwy build on my part, just that backwards diode that wreaked havoc on the transformer the first round.

I haven't even been able to get around to finalizing the gluing or finishing of the wood because every time I go to do it I end up turning it on and just listening to music instead. I think that says a lot about a combination of my laziness and mostly how amazing this amp sounds.

Offline NightFlight

Reply #73 on: June 24, 2014, 04:38:16 PM
Thank-you for the closure on this topic.  I, like most of you were pretty certaint it was the transformer, but it's good to hear the resolution.  Ha. Most of Ankaret. 

Ankaret. Try plugging in a 5998 and a pair of Hd800. Speedball first of course. :-)

Welcome to the club.