Next project?

Dr. Toobz · 2124

Offline Dr. Toobz

on: June 01, 2014, 07:54:19 AM
I built a Seduction with C4S back in 2009, which has served me well for five years. Currently, I am running JJ 6922 tubes in it, and upgraded the output coupling capacitors to 2.2uF Mundorfs (oil) to better drive a long, low-capacitance interconnect going to my Stereomour.

Now I'm thinking of building the Eros, but want to make sure it won't be "too much of a good thing," as I am currently running a mint-condition Technics SL-10 that I've refurbished, along with a cartridge equivalent to the AT120 (I think it's the TC350, which is an older p-mount version of the AT122, itself a version of the 120). Being a linear tracker, the sound is exceptionally clean and low in distortion, and as such, can be a bit lean on some discs, sounding almost like a CD. My understanding is that the Eros will probably net me a lower noise floor and higher gain, which are never bad things, but will that EF86 driver tip me too far into "CD-like" territory, given that the player already sounds so clean with the Seduction? If the Eros will simply give me even better soundstage/imaging and deeper bass, it would be a worthwhile improvement....

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:59:11 AM
I think the strength of the Eros is the EF86 itself.  We tend to find quite an audible difference between the EF86's available, which offer a good amount of fine tuning compared to just a 6922 on its own. 

You will indeed get a lower noise floor, higher gain, and better resolution with the Eros compared to the Seduction.  You'll also get slightly lower output impedance with the Eros, which sounds like a nice advantage in your situation.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:09 AM
I'm using a Souther SLT arm.  I went from the Seduction to the Eros and loved the differences.  Not that I thought my Seduction was a slouch, not by any stretch of the imagination.  The Eros is just more of all the good stuff that the Seduction has.

Offline Paully

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:01:23 AM
Yep, using a Souther LT as well and went from a stock Seduction to the Eros.  I was happy with the results and don't feel like things have become too analytical.  I ended up using 6BR7 tubes in it, not because they are better than a good EF86, but because they seemed as good and cheaper.

Offline Dr. Toobz

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:43:48 AM
Thanks for the advice - placed my order this morning. My system sounds the best it ever has, so even if I can squeak a 5-10% improvement over the Seduction with the new Eros, I should be quite content.

For LP playback, I'm currently enjoying a combination of a mint-condition linear tracker, a cartridge with a very fine stylus tip, a Seduction w/ C4S & larger metal/oil output capacitors, JJ 6922 tubes, and a run of very low capacitance (~48pF/m) shielded Belden cable to the Stereomour (and alternatively, a single-ended FET headphone amp for use with both my Grados and my HD650s). Sonically, the results are very, very close (if sometimes even indiscernible via A/B switching) to high-res files decoded via the Schiit Bifrost Uber. I've never heard vinyl sound so clear and lifelike!