Bell End rusting - what to do

bobster · 1732

Offline bobster

on: July 18, 2014, 08:03:08 AM
I chose to leave the bell ends au natural and didn't put anything on them.  Now one has some rust on it.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about getting rid of it an to prevent it from coming back?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:26 AM
Hello Bob,

Start by taking rough steel wool and brushing the rust off the transformer, then work the wool to give a nice, consistent grain across the steel.

Next, take some acetone, mineral spirits, or whatever thinner you have handy and wipe down just the steel end bell, doing your best not to get any on the actual stack.

Find a surplus piece of cardboard that's reasonably big (bigger than 12" x 12") and cut a rectangular hole in it so that it will slide down around the transformer stack.

Spray the transformer cover with a clear coating of your choice, allowing the clear to dry before removing the cardboard.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Lar

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:32 PM
I had the same thing happen to me, used my Dremel with wire brush, then masked off and sprayed with Rust-Oleum black hammer spray paint.

Black hammer was the only paint I had around and it stops the rusting.  :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 08:57:49 AM by Lar »

Larry V

Offline bobster

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.  Sounds pretty straight forward.

Bob Musson
Seduction (extended), Foreplay, Paramours, Klipsch Heresys, Orcas, Crack plus HD 600s
Lovin the Bottlehead sound in Maryland