Stereomour for headphones?

Oliv009 · 1535

Offline Oliv009

on: October 01, 2014, 11:28:54 AM
Hello i am a french lover of music and good soud an for few month ago especially with headphones beacause i am a new father.

I had the chance to own and for few of them trie many headphones and i own for the moment an hd800, a lcd2 fazor an he6 (for sale) and a hd650.

I have a solid state amp and would like something different with tube wich could ideally wors with hight and low impedence and why not with speaker (>95 db).

I have seen this steremour 2a3 speakers amp and as i would be interested in 2a3 amps to drive headphones (i thougt first to eddie curent but it is not cheap) i was wondering if the could work with headphones too adaptating plugs and impedencer (very low and very high impedence)

Would you think it could be possible and do you think if it is that it could make a good amp for headphones. Keepeing using that with speakers would be pleasent too.

Thank's for your anwer!!

Bye,

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:46:37 AM
The Stereomour is optimized for high efficiency speakers, but does not have the noise performance required for headphone use.

Our SEX amp will drive both high efficiency speakers and just about any headphones on the market, and it costs less. 

If you're insistent on 2A3's for headphones, you could pair Paramounts with our Submissive passive attenuator.  The Paramount has the extra parts/technology built in for substantially improved noise performance over the Stereomour. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:47:48 AM
PB beat me to it -

Stereomour uses AC heaters and you might hear a little hum with some more sensitive headphones. The S.E.X. kit is designed for most of the headphones you mention - HD800s, LCD2s, HD650s, and it also works great with higher sensitivity loudspeakers. It shares much of the Bottlehead house sound that Stereomour and our other amps have.

http://bottlehead.com/?product=single-ended-experimenters-kit-2-1-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.