OT - another project complete

Doc B. · 2423

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: December 17, 2014, 05:23:52 PM
After 27 years without a fireplace or woodstove we have decided to gift one to each other this Xmas. Just got the hearthpad finished after work and the stove gets put in Friday. Yipee, no more freezing when the power goes out!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Ferrous Bueller

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 07:18:26 PM
Are the 2 back walls going to be lined with some type of heat resistant material ?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:45:25 PM
Looks like a pad for a Klipschorn.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 08:01:19 PM
Are the 2 back walls going to be lined with some type of heat resistant material ?

Nope, not needed with the stove we are installing. They line them with refractory ceramic fiber that insulates and reflects the heat. The stuff is awesome, I modified the combustion chamber in our old oil furnace with it last year. There used to be a youtube of a guy draping some over his bare arm and blasting it with a propane torch, but I think maybe it was removed.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49:26 AM
That's the same stuff the Shuttles used as a re-entry shield. My kilns use it as a lining; and 6" of it reduces the 2400F inside temp to 225F on the outside___ pics attached.  Cheers, Hank
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:03:40 AM by Hank Murrow »

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 04:31:32 AM
Amazing stuff..

M.McCandless

Offline Karl5150

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:39 AM
My BH system sits on a rack in an alcove where there used to be an unused fireplace. Not needed here in So.Cal.Good luck.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:39 PM
Well, there you go. My fireplace will sit where there used to be a Bottlehead system.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:36:16 AM
That's some nice looking maple around the edges!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Ferrous Bueller

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:56 PM
Nope, not needed with the stove we are installing. They line them with refractory ceramic fiber that insulates and reflects the heat. The stuff is awesome, I modified the combustion chamber in our old oil furnace with it last year. There used to be a youtube of a guy draping some over his bare arm and blasting it with a propane torch, but I think maybe it was removed.

That is pretty impressive.  Is it a pellet fed or manual fed?

My buddy put a pot-belly stove in his house years ago and it really put out the heat.  I wish my useless fireplace had that thermal ability.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 06:31:40 AM
Though it isn't as cost effective as a pellet stove, I did a standard wood burner. In my early years we had two really nice fireplaces in a house my uncle built. After that I lived in apartments and eventually this fire-less house (we do have a big fire pit in the front yard, but it's not too useful in the winter). I had a strong urge to see the crackling logs again.

The stove is an Ironstrike Striker 160. Nothing super fancy but very clean burning a pretty efficient. New woodstoves are a lot more technically sophisticated than the 20 or 30 year old ones I am used to. The draft is awesome and you can easily get a burn that just shows steam coming out of the chimney. The 10 foot high doublewall stainless chimney poking out of our mossy, steeply pitched old roof cost a bundle and looks like an alien presence. The installer said, "it's a statement"

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:42:19 PM
I went with a pellet stove, a Harman Accentra. It is a great stove and other then filling it and cleaning it occasionally, it is completely automatic. The deciding factor was the chimney would cost more then the wood stoves I was looking at, The pellet vent was $35. The down side is it has a fair amount of fan noise, about like a window air conditioner but it paid for itself in oil savings in less then 3 years and the cats love it...John   

John S.