Basszilla MTM Experiment

cmcdonnell · 2821

Offline cmcdonnell

on: May 03, 2015, 06:54:27 AM
I built Basszilla Platinum speakers.  I has two pair to Fostex Sigma 168 speakers and used them in a MTM configuration with the Aurum Cantus G3si tweeters.  I had to do a couple changes to the crossover to adjust for the impeadance change from using two midtrange drivers.  I use a NTH X1 crossover for the bass to midrange crossover.  Using Paramours with 2A3 tubes  the speakers can play at more than realistic volume levels.  The sound is fantastic.  I moved them to the number one spot replacing Magnapan 1.6q powered by a Class A solid state amp. 
I modeled the baffles from the original plans using the design of the Infinity RS models.  Attached are pics.  I am a believer in the Basszilla approach.  The sound is fast and airy with good imaging.  I have never been able to find a satisfying efficient speaker before this. 

Chuck

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:17:57 AM
Don't know if that was set up just for the photos, but the sound will clean up and get better resolved if you move the amp off of the woofer cabinet.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline cmcdonnell

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:31:44 PM
Thanks Doc.
I appreciate that you read all of the posts on your site.  I have relocated the amps to floor with maple platforms and rubber and cork isolation feet.  There is better focus. 

Chuck