Strange SEX behavior

jake111 · 1302

Offline jake111

on: June 10, 2015, 02:12:45 PM
 While listening the left channel went out. I unplugged the right RCA, turned it way up, and could hear music and garbely noise in the left channel. Then turned it down, plugged the RCA back in and got music in only the right channel  again. Now I turn off the SEX and the left channel comes to life back briefly (while the caps drain I think?). I turn it back on and both channels play fine. Any ideas? Is a part starting to fail? Oh yeah, this is a stock 2.1 with all the BH upgrades.
Thanks, Jess

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:15:03 PM
That is most consistent with a connection that cuts in and out, possibly as a function of temperature, Most often, this turns out to be an inadequate solder joint, and the easiest test is to simply to heat each joint until the solder flows and wets every part.

If you want to know which joint it was, you can re-solder one joint at a time and test for success in between. Few of us are that curious or patient  :^)  A careful inspection with a little wire-wiggling might identify good candidates, but in real life that pays off less than half the time. Just sayin'

Paul Joppa