Noise from computer

sparggy · 1697

Offline sparggy

on: June 08, 2015, 11:49:12 PM
I have one issue which I only experience when no sound is playing, and that is a noise from my computer, so when I move my mouse I can hear a static kind of noise, I cannot hear this at all when music is playing. I have my Crack plugged into a Asus Xonar ST via rca cables. Its not a loud noise at all just this slight static when i move my mouse mainly.

Any suggestions

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:46:37 AM
Distance is your friend.  The farther away from the computer you can situate your crack the better.  A ferrite on the cables will help any noise that comes through the audio cable from your computer. 

Offline sparggy

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:26:02 AM
Thanks I will give that a go, right now its very close to my PC there is also an external wireless aerial so I will switch sides on the desk and see if that works. I dont have ferrite but I will see where I can buy some and try that too.

Thanks for the suggestions

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:11:25 AM
I've certainly heard exactly this.

A laptop running on its battery may be significantly quieter.

A DAC cabled via Toslink also tends to be much better.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline plynch

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:38:26 AM
I've had that issue even with my DAC. I ended up having to either use optical or a USB isolator. Ultimately I ended up using a USB isolator and I've had no noise since. I've also heard some people having decent luck with RCA filters. They're supposed to eliminate any ground loop noise.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:44:18 AM by plynch »

- Patrick Lynch

Offline sparggy

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 04:11:56 AM
Yeah unfortunately at the moment all the RCA cables I have are really short so cant move my amp much. I have ordered a longer shielded RCA cable so will see how that goes.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 06:54:50 AM
A quick run to Radio Shack will solve the short cable delema.

Offline grausch

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:23:27 AM
I encountered a similar issue recently, and while I doubt it will solve sparggy's problem, it might help others with noise from their USB ports.

I used to run a SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB straight from my USB 2 port. This was then connected to the Crack via RCA cables. The setup used to run fine except for the noise on the powerline.

Hadn't used the computer for a couple of months, but when I fired it up I had some issues that I could not resolve so just reformatted and reinstalled all the drivers. Suddenly I had distortion (sounds like static as per sparggy's description) on both that originated from the SoundBlaster. Really odd, since nothing changed except for the clean install.

Tried to fix it with a powered USB hub, reinstalled drivers and was considering buying a USB decrappifier from Schiit. Windows kept on giving me this annoying message saying the USB hub would work better from a USB 3 port, so this morning I plugged it into one of my unused USB 3 ports.

Guess what - static gone. Not sure why, but if you are getting occasional distortion that sounds like static, try plugging your DAC into a different USB port.

sparrgy - Try plugging your HPs directly into the Xonar and see if you still have static. If so, the problem lies at your DAC and not your Crack.

Gunter Rausch

Modded Bottlehead Crack
Modded Stereomour with Two-tone Orcas

Offline Deluk

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:27:23 PM
Do you have your PC/Xonar/crack, powered from the same outlet? it's easy to run out of sockets on one extension lead and then run in another from another outlet. Sharing 2 outlets will likely give earth loops with the noises you mention. Noise on mine was also via mouse movements but would also be also be in time with the PC clock digits changing, eBay seconds count down not normally needed as an audio function! General hum/buzz in the background too. Cured by lifting the mains earth on the power lead to my Luxman L30, not ideal, but cured ALL of my problems and now dead quiet. With the PC with music files at one end of the room and the Hi Fi at the other on a different outlet I need to do some re routing of power supplies!