Blow 270 ohm 1 watt resistor in power supply with every turn on

ashura · 1771

Offline ashura

Hi. I have had my crack with speedball up and running for a while. I upgraded to film caps and bypassed them with no problems. I also added the Cree diodes with no problems. Then I decided to repaint and rewire the whole thing with cloth covered wire. Now with every turn on I blow the 270 ohm 1 watt resistor in the power supply on the last cap. Help. Also, should I have 120v at terminal one or two on the transformer. It seems like it should be terminal two as it is labeled 120 on that terminal but I am getting 0 volts there and 120 at terminal 1 in the transformer. I verified that the wiring is correct.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:23:21 PM by ashura »

Joe Shuffler

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 12:04:07 PM
Hi. I have had my crack with speedball up and running for a while. I upgraded to film caps and bypassed them with no problems. I also added the Cree diodes with no problems. Then I decided to repaint and rewire the whole thing with cloth covered wire. Now with every turn on I blow the 270 ohm 1 watt resistor in the power supply on the last cap.
That resistor is not supposed to be 270 Ohms.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 01:29:18 PM
Should be 270K ohms if I remember correctly.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline ashura

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 01:40:59 PM
Thanks! I suppose such a large difference in resistance would cause that now wouldn't it! I had bought new resistors to replace the old ones instead of reusing them and got the wrong ones.

Joe Shuffler

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:04:30 PM
Yes, 270 Ohms is a lot different than 270,000 Ohms.  270 Ohms across the power supply will draw just about 1 ampere of current.  The Crack circuit draws about 0.080A of current.

That resistor will dissipate 270 watts, at least for the few tenths of a second that it can before it vaporizes.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man