SEX Magnequest Iron upgrade install question ...

audiblesoundwave · 1575

Offline audiblesoundwave

on: July 29, 2015, 04:55:32 PM
Do I need to scrape/clean off the varnish on the output transformer/choke screw holes? 
I know I need to scrape/clean off the taps on the chokes.

Thanks,
Milton

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:10:53 AM
The only varnish I would worry about removing is any that kept the back screws (with the solder tabs) from making contact with the choke/OT frame. That is remove any varnish from the inside of the mounting holes. The frames are grounded through those screws to the solder tabs attached to the ground bus. Be sure to keep those shoulder washers to isolate the frames from the plate. You only want the one ground point for each.  The same goes for painting the frames, just scrape off any paint inside the mounting holes.

I have the full nickel transformers in mine and love the amp. Enjoy!

Also I want to point out for folks reading this that as far as I know, the Magnequest transformers aren't available for the current 2.1 version of the amp.  I have the 2.0 version.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:28:34 AM by kgoss »

Ken Goss

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 10:32:34 AM
... Also I want to point out for folks reading this that as far as I know, the Magnequest transformers aren't available for the current 2.1 version of the amp.  I have the 2.0 version.
The MQ parts will fit the mounting holes. We don't have a manual - it's not a Bottlehead product - but the Forum has some notes from those who have gone before.

SEX 2.0 came with smaller transformers, but had slotted holes to fit the larger MQ iron as well. SEX 2.1 uses our own design iron which has the same mounting dimensions as the MQ parts.

Paul Joppa