Neat build / wiring advice

rmryan · 1483

Offline rmryan

on: February 21, 2016, 09:04:24 AM
I am just starting my Stereomour II build, and over the years I've built a S.E.X., a Crack and a Quick** duo.  All of my amps sound great, and are competently wired (enough so that they sound great anyway) but I don't take much pride in how the wiring looks.  I have solid connections, but it all just kind of looks crammed in there, with wires going every which way.

I've seen build pictures from many of you (you know who you are) where the wiring just looks great, and the underside looks nearly as good as the top side.  Everything at right angles, and perfectly soldered.

I would love for my very expensive (to me) Stereomour II kit to not only sound great when I'm done, but look as good as it sounds.  Do you guys have any advice on how to do the neatest job possible?  Do I need to cut the wire lengths slightly longer than called for in the manual?  Should I plan to provide additional / replacement wiring?  I hasten to add that I do NOT want to change the layout in any way, nor am I looking for boutique parts (at least not now).  Just would love to do the neatest job I can do.

Thanks,
Rich

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Richard Ryan
Bottlehead Customer
S.E.X. 2.0 w/ C4S w/ Blumenstein Orcas
Crack OTL w/ Speedball - Sennheiser HD600
Quickie and Quicksand
Stereomour II w/ Blumenstein Orcas & sub

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 09:35:30 AM
Layouts and wire routing are never perfect, but  great deal of thought goes into those aspects of our designs. For example, two things that increase sensitivity to magnetic and electric fields are sharp corners and longer wires, respectively.

If you want to get rectilinear, you might want to try at least to make rounded corners.

Paul Joppa

Offline Tom-s

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:40:11 AM
My wiring isn't as perfect as with some on here but i took the manual as a guideline and then cut them after laying it out first.
This way you always have the exact correct size for the wires. Most of the times it's shorter than specified in the manual.
Another tip is to read the manual first. So you know what other wires are going to take the same routing later on.

Offline rmryan

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 04:52:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Paul, as stated I definitely don't want to mess with the layout, and I'm sure you guys have given the wiring a lot more thought than I could.  I think I will stick to following the manual, and doing the neatest job I can with the soldering itself.

Looking forward to this build.  Just waiting impatiently for the finish on the transformer bell end to harden up.

Rich

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
Richard Ryan
Bottlehead Customer
S.E.X. 2.0 w/ C4S w/ Blumenstein Orcas
Crack OTL w/ Speedball - Sennheiser HD600
Quickie and Quicksand
Stereomour II w/ Blumenstein Orcas & sub