Smoking Crack untill the Fillaments Glow

Crackhead · 6383

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #30 on: August 08, 2015, 07:44:03 AM

Center pin on left channel reads "0" ohms not 90 Kohms... same "0" reading at the spot where it connects to the pot.

Are you getting normal readings otherwise?  Can you post a photo with all the meter in it (just to be sure).

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 10:23:41 AM
Usually this indicates bridging the hot to ground on the input jack. It looks like there is a lot of solder on the center pin of that jack, so it could be extending across the plastic insulation. Check carefully and remove solder if possible.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Crackhead

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 02:27:44 PM
Usually this indicates bridging the hot to ground on the input jack. It looks like there is a lot of solder on the center pin of that jack, so it could be extending across the plastic insulation. Check carefully and remove solder if possible.

You were correct Sir.  One RCA jack was shorted on my crack exactly where you indicated.  Now it's fixed and it sounds great.  When I get a chance I will attempt a reinstall of the Speedball.

Before I move on to that however, whenever I turn the volume pot, up or down, I get a lot of these scratching sounds through my Sennheiser HD650's...

Please advise me guys.  You've proven able to correctly detect the particulars which I continually neglect, and I'm moved. 

It'd be nice to get one more round of your sound advice.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 04:44:59 PM
Do also consider the possibility that a solder joint on the pot may be marginal, and sensitive to the minor mechanical stress of adjusting. I agree with Grainger that a bit of dirt inside the pot is the likeliest cause, but re-flowing a half dozen solder joints is much easier, unless you already have the De-Oxit or other contact cleaner on hand.

Paul Joppa