Crack wiring options and tube socket PCB useage.

jrihs · 12334

Offline Colin

Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 03:43:48 AM
Thank you Grainger49. :)
1 more question, i saw many cracker-s changed stock cable(the rest of signal paths) with others like kimber, neotech etc which have well known better than carol. Is that has changed the sound qualitiy? I  plan not to re-cable again in future based on my bad solder ability. ;D
Any suggestion will be helped. Thank you.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 08:23:06 AM
How is the sound quality changed if all the crack's stock cable changed with pure silver core cable? I'm a newbie in diy, very interest when hear the silver core cable interconect sound character. But a little fatigue in high tone, its get sibilance and 'overload' in treble. So is it possible to get the best sound when apply all the stock cable with it? Any suggestion to remove the sibilance and overload treble?

A option that really helped  me with treble and sibilance was bypassing the output capacitors with some of those inexpensive Russian Teflon capacitors I really liked the results. Quiet a few Cracks owners have fitted them.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 11:04:43 AM
The Crack is not generally a sibilant amp. If anything is errs on the warm and tubey side. If one is experiencing sibilance it might be time to examine one's source component.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 10:22:32 PM
To be honest I never had any issues with sibilants when using the HD650's with the Crack but after later switching to T1 I did have a few tracks where it was more noticeable. I kept both cans during my wonder down the Crack upgrade path the difference adding the Teflon bypasses made I though was really very nice with the T1. Actually both phones scaled well the change noticed with the T1's more noticeable in fact I would go as far to say that I preferred the T1 over the HD800 with the Crack in the end. With the Mainline the HD800's are my preferred pairing.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!