looking for advice on phono preamps

Grubba · 1470

Offline Grubba

on: September 27, 2015, 02:17:25 PM
I've been close to pulling the trigger on ordering a Crack kit for some time now but haven't because I'll need to acquire a phono preamp as well to complete the set up I want (and the cost of those seems a bit prohibitive to the whole venture). I listen primarily to vinyl and I'll be using my Dual 1219 turntable and Sennheiser HD 600s. Can anyone offer advice on an affordable solution that might pair particularly well with the Crack?

or...maybe is it possible to add a phono preamp to the actual Crack itself, and if yes is this something that a total inexperienced newb can pull off?

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 03:29:16 PM
What are you using now?

Adding a phono stage inside a Crack would be complicated, limiting, noise prone, and most likely not end up sounding very good.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Grubba

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 05:31:01 PM
Right now i'm running my turntable through a Sansui 7000 receiver which has a phono input, and then to some Polk floorspeakers (or my HD600s). If I got a Crack it would be for a new setup in a different room, so I would have need for a phono preamp (right..?).

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 06:35:21 PM
OK, saying you are setting up a new system is a different question. I was fishing to see if you could use your existing equipment. You could definitely plug your Crack into the tape out on your receiver until you have the means to setup a second system around your Crack.

You can find phono preamps starting around $20 new. Are they great? No. Do they work? Yes.

I have found that level of preamp (Realistic brand-I don't think RS still sells them, but they might) at my local Goodwill for $4. I grabbed it in case I ever need a backup unit for testing or anyone I know needs one. You can also get another receiver at a thrift store and use the tape out on that.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus