Beyerdynamics T1, 2nd Generation- excellent headphones!!

Nathan · 5662

Offline Nathan

I had a chance to listen to several headphones today- 2nd Gen T1's, Hifiman 560's, LCD-2's, and Master & Dynamic MH40's. The 2nd Gen T1's were announced in August 2015.

The 2nd Gen T1's are awesome! And of the 4 sets of cans I listened to, likely my favorite, with the Hifiman 560's a close second. LCD-2's were third. MH40's were last- yet they also sounded good - but were noticeably heavy on the head.

I'm posting this here because the T1's are 600 ohm headphones, which will work great with the Crack amp. They were also easily the most comfortable of the 4 cans I tried today. HE560's were the next most comfy, then the LCD-2 then the MH40. Interestingly, my estimation of sound quality tracked my objective feeling of wearing comfort.

I might have to order some 2nd gen T1's. Those phones will work great with my Crack & my S.E.X. amp too. 

Crack/Speedball, SEX 2.1/C4S, Bryston BHA-1

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:42 AM
Are the 560s the replacement for the 500s?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Nathan

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 10:39:55 AM
Are the 560s the replacement for the 500s?

I believe so. They are quite good, and are $200 less than the 2nd Gen T1.

Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable, Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, Hifimam HE560/Hifiman balanced cable

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:44:01 AM
From what i have read they are supposed to sound more like the HE-6 than the HE-500, they are also twice the price of the HE-500's.

M.McCandless

Offline Nathan

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 04:01:20 PM
I need no longer wonder what 2nd generation T1's sound like when driven by the crack/speedball

Definitely more revealing than the HD600's, which are more forgiving (there's advantage to that too) and more comfortable to boot

Bass in exceptionally tight and vocals are beautiful

Understanding that the 2nd gen T1's might not be everyone's cup of tea, these are very good cans

Incentive fir me to finally finish building my SEX and try them their

Offline drewh1

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 07:14:03 AM
I just bought a pair of the first gen t1's as they are quite affordable now, about half of what you pay for the 2d gen.  They sound great with my fully modded crack. Pretty much just what I was hoping for.  I hope the 2d generations aren't too much better . . . ;D

J-River on Custom built Music Server in Silverstone Case
Ayre QB-9 USB DAC
Kaiju
Stereoumour
Diy Cotton wrapped wire interconnects and speaker cab!es
Green Mountain Audio EOS HDx speakers
Crack with Beyerdynamic T1
Shunyata Diamond Back Power Cable
DIY Sub with Seas L26Roy Driver

Offline Nathan

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:50:48 PM
1st gen T1's are running about $700 now from what I saw. 2nd gen about $1100.

Not a night/day difference. 2nd gen is tweeked. A touch more bass, a bit smoother high end, replaceable cables, and a different storage box. 1st gens are a solid buy now.

Offline adydula

Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:04:11 AM
I have the T90's and they are awesome with the crack.....I would like to try the new version....maybe someone close to Raleigh NC will chime in!!!

:)

Alex

Offline Snarii

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:51:34 AM
Hi all
For the european guys, what seems to be a today's launchprice of T1 Gen2 at €849 right now on cobrason.com (or with amazon.fr), Hurry up, I'm not sure there are many of them.
Needless to say I'll soon be able to compare with my HD650 on my heavily tuned crack  ...  8)

Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, Heavy modifications (7119, stepped attenuator, shoke, capacitors, ...),  iFi DSD nano, Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Offline Snarii

Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:39:01 AM
More than happy with my new pair of T1 Gen2 acquired at -15% one-day promotional price  8)

Coming from an HD650 that is my only limited reference, what an upgrade in terms of transparency and micro-informations : out of the box, this thing reveals so many details I'd never heard before on thought well-known records !
That's clearly the best gift I recently gave to the crack, and it seems I'll soon start to roll my tubes again and be able to re-qualify them with a far better and accurate tool.
Bass are full and tight and not fundamentally different from the senn's, thanks to the crack that drives them properly.
Voices seem a bit recessed compared to the Senn with perhaps at the higher end some sibilant re-appearing. Beautiful though.
Mids seemed to exhibit less texture on some well known things, but in need to listen again to be sure.
Highs are nice and subtle. That's where the T1 shines the most I think. A range where the HD650 aggregated too many things.
All in all, the most pleasant upgrade is on acoustic music. Jazz and classical are natural and so simply obvious, with coherent image, and reflections, pinpointing instruments where they belong on the stage.
This transparency comes with a downside on not too good records whose flaws are now fully exposed....
Another side effect : panic on unexpected creaking intro of Thriller thanks to MJ !!  :-[ Lol
On the wearing point of view, perhaps a light discomfort after a few hours for the larger ears like mine.
In conclusion, very nice headphone and excellent association with the crack I own, no regret on my investment. I think I'll spend more time listening and appreciating jazz than before.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:17:30 PM by Snarii »

Bottlehead Crack+Speedball, Heavy modifications (7119, stepped attenuator, shoke, capacitors, ...),  iFi DSD nano, Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2