Post SB troubles

JoshMorr · 1125

Offline JoshMorr

on: November 22, 2015, 03:15:13 PM
Hello - newbie to DIY - I have built some complicated project, but I've gotten lucky and they have all worked.

I built my Crack and used it for a month or so with excellent results. Thought I found audio nirvana. I installed the Speedball upgrade and it did not work. I am getting a loud hum out of the right channel and no signal from the other. I am getting a faint audio signal from the channel with the hum. I went back and checked all of the new solder pads and do not see anything obvious. I am having trouble figuring out where to start diagnosis.

I can post all of my voltage results for all of the terminals, but what I immediately found odd was a 172 V reading out of terminal 3, and the same voltages across terminals 1 & 2 and 4 & 5.

Secondly, while testing I noticed some smoke coming from the cap between terminals 14 & 15. This cap was so hot it liquefied the solder at terminal 14. Is this cap likely fried?

Any advice of what to check for where? Sounds like I may have a few problems.

Thanks,

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:33:13 PM
Something is wrong with your build. Please post pictures. Do not plug in headphones when your voltages are not correct.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:07:35 AM
Yes, it sounds like you have something connected to the wrong terminal. Best to go back and recheck all of your connections against the manual, and post photos.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.