Repaired BeePre

rockpassion · 1310

Offline rockpassion

on: March 10, 2016, 04:20:16 PM
Hey Doc,

Received my BeePre today and the cleaning seemed to do the trick.  No crackling or thumping it is dead quiet. 

By the way what did you use to clean the tube pins and socket contacts?  Thanks for the attention to this issue it was driving me crazy.

I cannot believe how much better the BeePre is than the Foreplay II.  My plan is replace the 10 uf capacitors sometime in the future with some Russian K-75 PIO's.  But I am not going to replace them until the capacitors I replaced in the Eros have broken in.  I do not want to many variables at the same time as I want to hear if the change is making a difference. 

Thanks again.

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:41:40 PM
Just tried a little deoxit and running the tube in and out of the socket a few times. A more hardcore approach is to buff the pins with a Q tip chucked up in a Dremel with a little metal polish on it. Your tubes weren't particularly tarnished so I took the less abrasive approach first and lucked out.

I've seen a few pieces of gear come in for repair lately that could use a good going over of the contacts. Exercising volume controls and switches, remove and replugging tubes and removing and cleaning RCA connectors and speakers cables can make a huge difference in the performance of a system.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.