If you could buy just one good pair of headphones...

ALL212 · 1457

Offline ALL212

on: September 01, 2016, 01:59:52 PM
Has anyone compared the Senn HD700 or HD800 to HiFiMan or Audeze?  I have HD650's and MrSpeakers Alpha Prime.  Love them both but I have an opportunity due to some 'bay sales of investing in the next layer up.

I'll be more specific...

HD700's (800's if I can find a good used pair)
Audeze LCD-2's
Beyerdynamic T1
Hifiman...?  I don't know the model numbers there, just that there's good stuff.

I'll be driving them with the Mainline.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:48:02 AM by ALL212 »

Aaron Luebke

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 04:10:48 AM
I can't answer your specific question but I noticed Music Direct has like new HD800s on sale:

https://www.musicdirect.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd800-headphones-like-new

Gerry

Offline [email protected]

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:33:42 AM
Hi

IMHO comparing headphones really comes down to two aspects, comfort and transparency.
The amp has as much to do with the second aspect as the headphones themselves.

I have Audeze lcd 2 with the sex 2.1 amp at 32 ohms and I believe that they are the best headphones  on the planet, I did not feel that way with a different amp, that being said they are very heavy and I need to find just the right position to accommodate the weight, but then it is a out of body experience. I also had Senn hd and did not really like the fit and thought the sound was a little shouty.

I also have AKG Q702 and they are the most comfortable but very clinical in sound, on the cheaper scale I have Meze 99 Classics which are real toe tappers and Sony Studio MDR V600, and enjoy those as well. However when I listen for total relaxation late at night I always go to the LCD 2

They are heavy and I must allow for head bracing in the chair but once that position is found then I listen for hours on end. I have never listened to the HD 650, or the others that you listed, sorry.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:29:07 PM by [email protected] »

Don Troise