Woo-hoo, spaghetti westerns tonight!

Doc B. · 939

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: November 29, 2016, 04:42:26 PM
For those of you who may not know, I have a home theater with a Sony G70 CRT projector and an Oppo bluray player. Screen is 96" diagonal. We use a Roku for streaming Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/etc. No cable TV, gave up on it when the kids grew up and moved out.

The audio portion is composed of three Stereomour amps, two Fix EQs for mains and center and a 5.1 surround setup using five Blumenstein Orcas and four Blumenstein Dungeness subs. Two subs work with the Orca mains, two are in the FX channel.

I love the G70. At 1080P it's not as crisp as the new 2K and 4K projectors, of course. However I am finding the 4K displays (like the one I am looking at on this laptop) mostly just show up the bad integration of CGI with live action. The G70 has a wonderful feel similar to watching 35mm or 70mm film, a little soft but very rich and realistic colors. And the CGI stuff is much better blended to the live action. The room is blacked out and the contrast is wonderful.

And it's also great for the analog classics. I found out that the Sergio Leone trilogy (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good the Bad and the Ugly) was very well remastered to bluray in 2014. My copy just arrived today. I'll be in the theater for the next few evenings...

Picture looks blurry in this shot, due to short depth of field. It's not, in fact I was noticing the film grain while waiting for the perfect freeze frame of Clint.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:47:12 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline xcortes

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:19:15 PM
Crt projectors rule. That's one of the crazy bugs you passed me. We enjoy ours tremendously. We have a family movie night every Saturday. Five Paramours and five speakers with jbl 15" and jbl cds plus a "yuge" Revel subwoofer. The room is not dark though.

Xavier Cortes