Spec'ing the Ultimate "Hard Ball" Crack

Surge · 4030

Offline Surge

Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:46 AM
FYI-

Here is a review:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/hifi-tuning-fuses#78HSHBxuQbrdruFP.97

I am not sure I can tell a difference, but I didn't do a proper side by side comparison either.
However, my view is that the logic for why they are better seems to make sense, and for ~$10, I don't spend much time thinking about it anyway...

Doc, would be keen to hear your thoughts after reading some of the online reviews and trying it on one of your amps. You do support better AC power cords, I see. I place fuses in the same general improvement category.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:28 AM
The difference is that I don't claim that the acoustical resonance of my power cord is the reason it sounds better. I freely admit I don't have a clue why it sounds better. Maybe because of the braiding reducing the influence of EMI, but maybe not, because I have not figured out a way to measure it that makes sense. Once again, I can understand wanting to use a skinny little piece of silver as the fuse material, because the general consensus is it's a good conductor - right up until when it blows. If the fuse makes something sound better, that great. If people thinks it's worth $50, that's great too, particularly for the guy who has them made for $2.50 each or whatever. But the whole resonance thing is just marketing copy without some data to back it up.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Surge

Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 03:04:51 PM
I am a big believer in the quality of the AC coming into components. Audio and video are, after all, just modified and manipulated AC from the grid.

Here's a test of various fuses, with data:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/prod_pdf/hft_facts.pdf

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 06:08:42 PM
Good wire, low resistance. Pretty straightforward.  Not so sure passing higher frequencies is a good thing. We don't need noise going back out the gear through mains and into other gear. No mention of resonance.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.