system setup question

aragorn723 · 793

Offline aragorn723

on: July 14, 2018, 06:18:58 AM
Hello,

I am in the process of setting up the stereo at a new house, and have some questions about dealing with a fireplace.  The eventual plan is to mount the TV above the fireplace, so it is only natural that the stereo will be set up around that.  I have attached a picture of the system (most of it isn't wired right now, except the turntable and an integrated amp).  The question I have is about wiring the speaker on the left of the fireplace.  There are a couple of options I can think of:

1)  Run the speaker wire in front of the fireplace (which probably isn't the best WAF, but I could probably get away with it ::)
2)  Run in-wall speaker wire thru the wall behind the fireplace

#2 would be the best-looking option, though there is a catch.  The wire is listed as 2 strand, 16 AWG, however, each conductor looks like only 18 gauge.  I want to twist several of the conductors together to get a heavier gauge, but was wondering what gauge would come out if I twisted 4, or even 6 of the conductors (6 might be good, since I could braid the 3 jackets together and possibly get some noise rejection in the process).  Anyone have any suggestions for this system?  I'd like to be running 14, or even 12 gauge (it has made a big difference in the sound of my system in the past).

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 06:59:48 AM
Here's a helpful calculator:
https://www.wirebarn.com/Combined-Wire-Gauge-Calculator_ep_42.html

What's under that room?  If you have a crawl space, consider putting in conduit that you can pull wires through.

You could also just get thicker wire:

https://www.parts-express.com/audtek-electronics-52142h9e-14-2-ofc-in-wall-speaker-wire-cable-cl2-250-ft--101-209

Noise rejection in speaker cables can become a tinfoil hat discussion topic in a big hurry.  I will say that many of the points made become moot when you're using zero feedback amplifiers.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 07:36:23 AM
When you double wires the equivalent gauge goes up about three sizes. So doubled 18 ga. would equal 15 ga., quadrupled 18 ga. would equal 12 ga., 6 x 18 ga. is about 10.5 ga.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 09:08:34 AM
Thanks for the replies!  Unfortunately the house is on a slab, so I don't have access underneath the room.  I have a 500 foot spool of that "16" gauge speaker wire (maybe a little less since i've used some).  So quadrupled looks like the way to go (that would be 12 gauge).  When I twist the 4 wires together (at the ends), should I just leave the 2 jackets separate and snake it thru the wall?  There is already a jack on the wall behind the speaker on the right (if you take the cover off it has one of those low voltage boxes with no back, so wires can go thru easily).  The only thing I would have to do is either drill a small hole in the other wall, or make a cutout and put another low voltage box in the other side and snake the wire thru.

Does the speaker placement look ok?  I will probably run some wire to the speakers temporarily in this new configuration to test it out, but i'm wondering if there is any obvious drawback to placing them right next to the sides of the fireplace?  Thanks!

Dave