New caps to try

corndog71 · 2263

Offline corndog71

on: February 17, 2017, 03:38:42 AM
So my little EL84 monoblocks turned out so good I decided to try the same caps in my old Sex Amp 2.0.  I installed a matched pair of Clarity Cap CSA 2.2uF.  I also added a pair of Russian PIO K42 0.1uF at the interstage position.  Man!  This is a great combo and surprisingly cheap!  Clarity has a real bargain-priced winner with the new CSA series.  In my main rig I replaced the output caps of my preamp with the new CMR series and they are fantastic as well but at a premium cost.  I can easily live with the CSA series.

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 04:57:50 AM
Thanks for the recommendation!

Aaron Johnson

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:06:11 AM
Has anyone tried a range of values for the stock 1.5uF caps? I'd like to roll a few different caps, but wondering if there's a hard limit on what I can try. 1uF to 3.3uF maybe? I see most people run 2.2uF. Caps in this position change the bass roll off frequency?

Close to finishing the stock build 3.0 :) can't wait to listen! Upgrades later, one at a time.

Thank you

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:23:09 PM
The nominal value is 1.25uF. The nominal extension is 22.5Hz.

I usually say that it's reasonable to try from half to twice that value. Larger values will give more extension but less power available at very low frequencies - reasonable for very high efficiency speakers or most headphones, or music without a lot of deep bass. A smaller value will give less extension but more bass power capability.

There is substantial interaction with the speaker's impedance, so experimentation is in order, in your own system with your own music. I usually also recommend using inexpensive caps in several values to determine which gives the best in your system, before spending any big bucks on fancy caps.

Paul Joppa

Offline bob lennon

Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:15:51 PM
I just ordered a tube speakers kit I hope to use with my 3.0, not sure of frequency response but they are small 2-way floorstanders with sensitivity around 95 dB.

Offline TurbOSquiD77

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:17:54 AM
Thank you, PJ. I'll get down with my bad self.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 06:20:58 AM
What's the kit, Bob?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline bob lennon

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:01:30 PM
What's the kit, Bob?
It is from a local speaker maker, Adelaide Speakers who also sells kits. I don't know anything about them, but I really want to try making them up for my first diy speakers! I told them I had this 2w amp and they sold me something they thought might suit.

P.S. I also have a measurement mic I need to learn how to use.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:02:22 PM by bob lennon »