Speedbal, What Next

lextek · 2010

Offline lextek

on: March 03, 2012, 01:11:03 PM
So Added the Speedball upgrade and love it.  I really wasn't expect it to be this great.  I've played around with tubes.  Not a huge change with this amp.  I have settled on Amperex Bugle Boy or a Mullard.  As far as Power tube the stock one is nice and quiet.  So what next?  I see large caps being installed.  What benefits are there to add these?

Bob Lasky

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16:36 PM
Bob, behind the speedball the best upgrade for me was replacing the 100uf output caps with film caps, I used Mundorfs. Others have used solens, axons, motor runs..etc. For me this really opened up the soundstage, and improved the mids and highs. I use HD650s so those improvements are what these cans needed. If this is not in the budget you can bypass the stock caps with some good quality 1.0uf film caps. I also added a Triad filter choke and a big 220uf film cap to the power supply. I can't speak of how they might help the amp after the speedball because I did this before I installed it. It did help the stock crack alot. I did replace quite a few resistors, only because I happen to like the sound of carbon films, just a personal taste thing. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:56 AM
The stock electrolytics arent bad sounding but films are an upgrade.  Im not good at the audio jargon but I noticed and overall cleaner midrange and cleaner, more extended and detailed treble.  There is a little bit of grain up top with the stock caps that you may not notice until the films are installed, I didnt.  Bass is more controlled as well.  At first I thought there was less impact, but I dont think that's the case.  The overall balance is improved and bass just isnt as "tubby",  it's more accurate.   I did the films before Speedball where most upgrade them afterwards.  From what others have mentioned, I think I noticed the difference with the film caps more than some others because I did them pre-speedball.  Improvement from Speedball was even bigger, as you already know.  But my point is that some have called the film caps a fairly subtle improvement.  Adding them before Speedball, I found the change more than subtle, so YMMV.  But I think it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
I also used the Mundorf MKP's.    

Most of the gurus here dont recommend bypassing the output caps.  But if you have some films laying around, it cant hurt to try it.  I thought about it, but just went ahead and sprung for the film caps.  Mundorf MKP's were "affordable" and Parts Connexion had a 20% off at the time.  The Solens/Axons and some others are even less expensive.  I thought about trying Erse Pulse-X mkps's (about $20 for 250V 100uF) but spent the extra on the Mundorfs to "play it safe".  

Desmond G.

Offline BNAL

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:53:31 AM
Like the others have said I did all my upgrades before adding the Speedball. I have not replaced the output caps, but did bypass them with 0.22uF Russian Teflon caps. This was before the Speedball and It did improvement in the upper mids and highend, but what I noticed was that the bass and lower mids were not as well defined. When I installed the Speedball the bass and lower mids became more defined and clean.

I still want to replace the electrolytics with film caps, but I dod not feel rushed to do it. I'm spending more time looking at different tubes to use in the amp.

Also, I added a Tryad choke and a 2.0uF bypass cap to the last electrolytic in the power supply.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus