measuring balance

denti alligator · 700

Offline denti alligator

on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:58 AM
My Steremour II appeared to have the balance shifted to the R channel, so I used a db measurement app for my iphone, played a test tone from an LP and set the balance to where the test tone was giving me the same db on the app. I made sure to hold the phone in the exact same position for each speaker.

Great, right? Well, now I'm listening to a record and the vocals seem too far to the L channel.

Two questions:

1) Can where I have the volume set affect balance?

2) Is there a more accurate method for measuring the balance, perhaps using mono source and a AC meter?

Thanks.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:34 AM
1) Yes. Most volume pots have some imbalance at the lower level range. That is why we incorporated the balance control, so one can compensate for this as the pot setting changes.
2) Thus, there is not a whole lot of point in fretting over the precise balance setting at one pot position. The best way to deal with it is to use a recording with a solid center vocal and adjust by ear at the level you wish to listen.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.