New listening space

aragorn723 · 921

Offline aragorn723

on: May 11, 2018, 06:43:16 PM
The wife and I just bought a new house.  The previous one had 8ft ceilings, and the new one has 10ft.  How will that affect the sound?

Dave

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:29:54 PM
Sounds will be more expansive... ;D  couldn't resist.

All things remaining the same, you'll get a small difference in the reflections but if your listening position is the same as in the 8ft ceiling house, the sound of you tapping your feet and humming along to the music will drown out any small difference in timing you get.  Now if the room volume increased then there will be a difference but I bet you wont be able to tell much...

One of the experts may chime in here and give you a better estimate.

I forgot:  Congrats on the new house!

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:58:01 AM
Thanks!  Funny thing-I set up some so-so equipment: an Onyko 7.1 receiver and some small Optimus speakers to do done painting, and heard some amazing mid sounds and treble sounds.  Bass was pretty good too.  Never heard those speakers sound so good!  Can't wait to get the main system in there!  It is definitely more volume to fill-the previous room is maybe 10 x 17 with 8 ft ceilings, and the new one is 17 x 17 with 10 foot ceilings.  Maybe I'm hearing more reflected sound like you said.

Dave