periodic static

Huffstutler · 860

Offline Huffstutler

on: February 10, 2020, 08:49:46 AM
My crack has an odd problem, it occasionally gets bouts of static. It is not consistently resonating static, but comes and goes in periodic fits. I believe it has to be something with the amp as it continues regardless of whether or not it is plugged into my computer. Do you lads have any idea on what could be happening?

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 09:04:09 AM
If you’re near a wireless transmitter of some sort that might explain it. Wifi, for instance. I had a wireless headset base station that caused issues also.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:52:47 AM
You could also try this mod, just to rule things out:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11676.0

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 08:18:52 PM
If the static is only occurring on one channel, another possibility is a poor solder joint. My Crack (my first major soldering job) had static on one channel, and it turned out one end of the output cap had a loose connection.

Raymond P.

Offline Huffstutler

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 06:21:30 AM
It sounds like the wind hitting a microphone. I have a wireless router not too far from my crack. I tried turning it off, but the problem remained for several minutes after, though it did eventually stop. Would there be a several minute delay after turning the router off? (this is a pain to troubleshoot since it comes and goes on seemingly random occasions.) and I tried already have added that mod Paul, and it did fix a previous issue I had with there being a consistently noisy static sound in the background. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 06:22:40 AM
So it's both channels? 

I don't know how quickly a router will bleed down its own power supply, but it's certainly easy enough to repeat the experiment a few more times!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Huffstutler

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 09:12:33 AM
it is on both channels, and I am thinking it may have to do with the headphone jack. I noticed that if I lightly wiggle the headphone jack, the static increases and produces loud popping noises. I also noticed that the static kept up for over 10 minutes with the router turned off so I do believe the router isn't the cause.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:21 AM
it is on both channels, and I am thinking it may have to do with the headphone jack. I noticed that if I lightly wiggle the headphone jack, the static increases and produces loud popping noises.

Very thoroughly inspect the solder joint on the headphone jack where the black wires meet.  On about half of the Crack repairs that I do, that solder joint does not capture both wires.  It's incredibly common.

Paul "PB" Birkeland