Clinking Sound

dlkbj1967 · 933

Offline dlkbj1967

on: April 21, 2020, 05:30:47 AM
I bought a Crack from someone already assembled, it was a really good deal, so I thought, why not?  I'll build one someday if I really get into it.  It is an original version, with Speedball and aftermarket tubes and caps.  I love it.  It sounds great, but I do notice a noise that I did not hear when I first tested it out prior to buying it.  There is a very faint "cliniking" noise.  It is in both channels, but more prominent in the left. I have tried different headphones and input sources and it is there with any combination of those, so it appears to be the amp itself.  It is very faint and can not be heard (generally) when music is playing.  It also seems to go away as the amp warms up.  I say "seems" to because after listening for a while my ears are tired and I may just not be hearing it any more.  I am going to continue to experiment (such as letting it warm up longer before I use it), maybe change out the tubes.  But I am just wondering if this rings any bells with any one. Thank you for the help.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 06:13:30 AM
Glass will make noises like that as it warms up or cools down.  I've done some work with the 6C33, and it is downright noisy when it's warming up and cooling off. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man