Speedball inquiry [resolved]

sfojws · 1915

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: March 01, 2022, 02:12:50 PM
Do you have a loose black wire on the headphone jack?  I don't think that would be responsible for everything that's going on with your amp, but would definitely be a place to start.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sfojws

Reply #16 on: March 01, 2022, 02:42:59 PM
It's an iPhone SE, 2014 vintage. The newer one (2017) was being charged at the time. Resolution trouble?

John

Offline sfojws

Reply #17 on: March 01, 2022, 03:28:19 PM
Hi Paul - I had suspected that as a potential problem, so I had reflowed that joint last week, returning to a better brand of solder (Kester, which I had used on the Moreplay & Reduction).

Please let me know if you have a problem with the photos. It may be possible to send the files in a different format. I haven't had need to try that in the past, but it appears to be doable.

JS

John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 04:58:16 PM
I suspect your issue is going to come down to broken wires (the teflon jacketed ones) or solder joints.  I don't see anything super obvious there.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline sfojws

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:22 AM
Good morning Paul - Thank you for taking a good look. Yes, I was also flummoxed, after going through the manuals for the basic build and the upgrade, step by step, to try to spot an error in wiring.

Would a continuity (resistance) check on the wires help uncover the possibility of a broken wire? Although it's like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, if it's a possible method of spotting a broken wire, it would be worth the effort.

JS

John

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 04:57:27 AM
With your kit, you may find that you can poke around it with a wooden chopstick while it's running and a pair of cheap headphones plugged in to activate either pops or flashing LEDs, and that can help narrow down your focus a bit.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2022, 06:30:53 AM
Re my question regarding the phone, I was just thinking it might be easier to post the images to the forum right from the phone to avoid the file name issue. Or as was suggested you might just try renaming the files from .jpeg back to .jpg. Typically you can go into a file browser, click on the file (right click for Win) and choose rename. Jeez I just noticed that Win has added an extra "Show more options" step to get to Rename. Funny how after 40 years of personal devices graphics apps still can't carry on a conversation without an interpreter and guys still justify their jobs as programmers by moving shit around from where it has been for the past ten years so you can't find it.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.