Another Moreplay in the world

Tuco · 859

Offline Tuco

on: July 09, 2024, 02:03:26 PM
Competed building, testing, and am now listening to my Moreplay.  I had a ball building it and learned a lot.  Read a lot of threads here that made my construction and testing experience enjoyable, uneventful, and successful, so thanks to everyone who posted their experiences in the forum.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 02:39:31 PM by Tuco »

Jay Decker

Offline ccmccull

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 02:05:12 PM
Congratulations! Looks very nice

Colin. Insta @act4audio
{Ortofon 2m Blue > U-Turn Orbit > Eros 2} & {Roon Ropieee RPi4 > hifiberry-digi2-pro > ANK DAC 2.1} > Moreplay > {SVS_SB-1000 (x3)} & {diy kegger design kt88 SET} > Magnepan .7

Offline AG

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2024, 05:52:58 AM
Congratulations!

The round head screws are a plus. What tube are you running, JJ?

cheers from Florida.
Andre.

“Without music life would be a mistake”

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 05:55:58 AM
Nice work! Numbering the terminals on your chassis panel could be a large part of your kit working from the get go. Makes mis-wires almost impossible to do. I wish everyone did that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:29:52 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tuco

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 07:58:56 AM
What tube are you running, JJ?

New production Tung-Sol 6V6GT that Rabco turned me on to.  When I replaced the stock tubes with the Tung-Sols, the musical sound stage was immediately larger, there was more punch in base, and mid-range vocals became sweeter.  This is my first experience with tubes, still just listening, but I listened to Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter last night and I’ve never heard Ella sound that good.

Jay Decker

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2024, 08:31:22 AM
Burn both sets of tubes in 50 hours and compare again. They will change character.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tuco

Reply #6 on: July 10, 2024, 08:36:39 AM
Nice work! Numbering the terminals On your chassis panel could be a large part of your kit working from the get go. Makes mis-wires almost impossible to do. I wish everyone did that.

Thank you for taking the time to make the YouTube videos and prepare comprehensive instructions - in my experience this is under appreciated skill, effort, and business expense, so I like to recognize when someone does it well and with bit of humor to keep it from being dry.   I watched your videos, read the instructions, and collected materials and tools onto the work bench, nearly all of which I already had, while I waited for the kit to arrive.  To my way of thinking the quickest and most reliable path to success with this kind of project is to avoid making errors that take time to correct and increase the likelihood of damaging components.  In my case, I still made three errors during assembly:  1) soldering a couple joints that had to be desoldered to add an additional wire, 2) having a cold solder joint that I had to troubleshoot during testing, and 3) being too vain to admit that I now need a magnifying task lamp to do this kind of work, which I do think contributed to the cold solder joint. 

Thanks for producing a quality kit!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:39:11 AM by Tuco »

Jay Decker

Offline AG

Reply #7 on: July 10, 2024, 09:03:10 AM
New production Tung-Sol 6V6GT that Rabco turned me on to.  When I replaced the stock tubes with the Tung-Sols, the musical sound stage was immediately larger, there was more punch in base, and mid-range vocals became sweeter.  This is my first experience with tubes, still just listening, but I listened to Ella Fitzgerald Sings Cole Porter last night and I’ve never heard Ella sound that good.
Great, I have same album I play it using bottle shape, but I will like to use the new Tung sol.
thank you for the feedback!
Andre.

“Without music life would be a mistake”

Offline Karl5150

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2024, 06:56:57 AM
Having that space dedicated to the construction probably contributed to the successful and good looking build. Enjoy.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77