Which type of spray paint?

pbvoorhees · 632

Offline pbvoorhees

on: August 19, 2024, 05:45:24 AM
Hello!
First time builder here so forgive me if my questions are basic.
I am building the S.E.X. kit and would like to paint the chassis plate, entire power transformer (not just the top cover), and the power chokes. Basically, all the metal stuff on top of the chassis.
The how to video (which is super helpful; thank you) only addresses the hammered type of spray paint.
My questions are
1. Can I safely use a different Rustoleum paint choice besides the hammered texture one in the video? Aesthetically, I prefer a more flat paint look and am interested in using a different style of paint. And,
2. After painting these parts, do they need to be sealed with a clear coat? Or, will the spray paint make that unnecessary?
Thanks for considering my noob questions here.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2024, 05:50:11 AM
Any spray paint that is made to work on metal is going to be fine on these parts.  You might like the Rustoleum 2X for what you're looking to do.  A clear coat shouldn't be necessary.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pbvoorhees

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2024, 08:08:51 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know the chassis top plate, and the power chokes should be lightly sanded and cleaned before applying the spray paint. What about the power transformer itself? Should the power transformer be lightly sanded before painting?

My concern is whether sanding the lacquer on the transformer itself might somehow affect the power transformer's operation.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 05:45:36 AM by pbvoorhees »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 08:45:38 AM
I wouldn't sand the lacquer on the power transformer, just paint over it.  The top cover needs to be cleaned very thoroughly, typically I will use brake parts cleaner for that.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man