Speedball Install Question

kylescholten · 826

Offline kylescholten

on: August 14, 2024, 05:08:27 PM
I'm finally installing the Speedball 1.1 to my Crack 1.1 that I completed last year. I finished the small circuit and got to page 14 about to solder it, but the photo that shows what my completed Crack should look like before going further does not match my Crack. The main difference I see is that my kit has two braided green wires going out from the middle octet as well as a red wire connected to terminals 14 and 17 of the power transformer––the photo in the Speedball manual does not. The photo also shows a black and red braided wire connected to power transformer terminals 7 and 11 it looks like, my kit does not have this. What's the deal? Should I proceed adding the Speedball? My kit matches what the photo at the end of my Crack manual says, so I'm a bit lost. Thanks,
-Kyle

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 07:52:11 AM
Yes, you have a Crack 1.1, not the 1.0 in the picture.  The point of that photo is that you need a functioning, completely built Crack that is stock before installing the Speedball.  We used to have a couple dozen builders per year build the Crack with the Speedball from the get-go, then we'd have to have them take the Speedball out to debug the problems in the initial build that went undiscovered.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man