Finishing the wood base: What to use after an oil based stain?

pbvoorhees · 929

Offline pbvoorhees

I am thinking about how to finish the wood base after using Minwax oil based special walnut stain.

I have let the base sit for over a week so that oil is completely dry. I think the oil stain finish is okay; there are some small areas of blotching - but, as a first build, I am not unhappy.

My question is: What product to use to finish the base?

I am concerned that if I use polyurethane there will be a glossy finish. I am trying to achieve more of a matte or, at best, a satin finish. I would love to end up with something that looks similar to the wood base of my Dad's old Fisher stereo from the 1960's.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for considering this request.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2024, 05:41:27 AM
I would love to end up with something that looks similar to the wood base of my Dad's old Fisher stereo from the 1960's.
Osmo or Odie's are going to give you what you're looking for, though they are rather expensive.  Tung oil would probably get you where you need to go for a lot less cash out of your pocket.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline hmbscott

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2024, 07:37:40 AM
Shellac is another option. It's cheap, durable, quick drying, easy to apply, and nontoxic both to apply and after application. I recommend spray cans. It goes on gloss, but can be sanded down to the desired mat finish with 400-600 grit or with steel wool. It will change the color tone slightly making it warmer (this is true of most top coats actually) so best to try it on a hidden location first. Odie's is also an excellent choice, but about 5X the cost.

Scott
[Ortofon 2M Bronze > U-Turn Theory > Eros II] & [iMac via USB > Denafrips Ares 2] >> Moreplay >> Schiit Lokius EQ >> Stereomour II >> Hsu ULS-15 Sub >> homemade DML Speakers
Moreplay 2nd out >> [Crack + Speedball > HD 650]