Channel imbalance

kill_surf_city · 686

Offline kill_surf_city

on: October 07, 2024, 09:57:32 AM
I only noticed this because I plugged the Eros into my PC via interface to rip an LP. When I open recording software when nothing is playing, the white noise signal in the left channel is a bit louder. Left peaks at like -44 decibels  right channel peaks right at around -49 decibels. Is this a significant imbalance? When I play music through my speakers or even through my PC and then through my Crack and headphones, I can’t tell there’s an imbalance. In my Eros I do have step-up transformers installed for my LOMC Dynavector. Are there any specific places on the amp where I should reflow joints? Or is this kind of imbalance even worth worrying about? Also I tried swapping the tubes and the imbalance stays the same with the left being louder than the right. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 11:15:39 AM
Is this an imbalance in signal or noise? (or both)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 12:14:49 PM
Is this an imbalance in signal or noise? (or both)

How can I tell the difference? When I have the amp plugged into my PC via interface there doesn’t seem to much imbalance when I have a record playing through, if that’s what you mean.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 02:49:41 PM
If the channel balance is good, then I wouldn't worry about a difference in noise floor between channels.  You can get a better idea of channel balance by using an 1/8" to RCA cable out of a phone or tablet with the volume turned one step up from mute, then play some tones through the Eros to get an idea of how the balance is.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2024, 04:02:14 PM
Okay cool. Thanks Paul!