Temporary LED value Question

castelletti · 2272

Offline castelletti

on: June 05, 2011, 12:15:17 PM
I smoked the LED's upon installation in the Crack.  Doc has ever so graciously sent out the replacements....in the mean time I went down to Radio Shack to find a similar value led to run until they get here.  Am i going to hurt anything by running a 1.8v Red LED in place of the 1.6v LED until it gets here or should I excersize more patience?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Laudanum

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:03:26 AM
Not a tech guru but this has come up before.  You dont want to use a different LED.  Those are the bias leds and the value is pretty critical.  It's not just the voltage, it's the current (if Im not mistaken).  Search bias led within this Crack forum.  Atleast wait for someone with better technical input than mine before replacing those led's.

Desmond G.

Offline dubiousmike

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:43 AM
I asked a similar question in this thread after damaging one of the LED's on my 9 pin socket. I was also advised that I should not try to substitute a ratshack LED.  See http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,1825.0.html

Mike M.

Offline castelletti

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:56 AM
Ok seems to me I should hold off as much as it pains me to do so...lol.  Thank you all for your help!