Berringer ECM8000

ironbut · 1424

Offline ironbut

on: September 07, 2011, 02:06:12 PM
I've been meaning to get a "usable" calibration mic for a while. I plan to get the sound as flat as I can between some near field monitors I use for fooling around with the live recording I do (as well as my listening room).

I did a tiny bit of research and found that the Berringers are pretty good for the money (they retail for around $110).
I've bought a few audio/pro audio related items on Amazon so I get notifications on items that are on special.
So, how about $49.98 for the ECM8000? (I have amazon prime so the shipping is sort of free).

I just received it and it seems to be exactly what I want. I've hooked it up with an old mic cable I have lying around (but I'll make up on with some Mogami wire and a couple of the gazillion XLR/TRS connectors I have).
Now all I need is find a used mic stand/boom and I'll be all set to drive myself totally insane!

BTW, I'm using my Metric Halo ULN-2 as the mic pre and Fuzz Measure for analysis software.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ECM8000-Condenser-Microphone-Omni/dp/B000HT4RSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315439358&sr=8-1

steve koto

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:14:43 PM
I've been using one now and then and it seems to work well.  Mostly I use it to do comparisons such as one speaker to another or to compare sounds at different points in the room.  For this, I need it to work well enough and just be consistent. 

It seems to do that pretty well.  Good enough at a good price was what I needed and that seems to be what I got.  It may even be better than I think but I don't have any others to compare.

That may be the best "not so helpful" answer I've ever posted.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:33 PM
Thanks for the pointer, Steve -- I got one for myself on my amazon prime aaccount too, so a fantastic deal.

Now just have to get a portable usb mic pre and something like REW.  Just about finished with the prep on my dedicated room, and when the new speakers and amp get here, it will be a great time to redo the treatments.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline nullspace

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:52:47 AM
I would recommend getting the Behringer mics calibrated -- mine was off by a significant amount at 10k Hz.

Kim Giradin does an excellent, quick, inexpensive job of calibrating mics. Last I checked, you can get a hold of him at [email protected].

Regards,
John

John Bauman