6DN7

proud indian · 2362

Offline proud indian

on: May 16, 2012, 05:24:45 PM
Just ordered the SEX kit and wanted to know...

What is the life of the 6DN7 tube on the SEX amp? and what makes are preferred?

Thanks

shreekant

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.

Offline porcupunctis

• 0D3
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:15:36 PM
I've listened to Westinghouse, RCA and Sylvania 6DN7s in mine.  All have been solid and trouble-free.  I'm not sure I could hear any more difference between the brands than I could between different sets of the same brand.  As tubes go, they are fairly inexpensive so you can pick up several and listen for yourself. 

The 6DN7 is a stout little tube that should last you a long time.  You might just run the same set of tubes for 10 years depending on usage.  Keep in mind that tubes can be like light bulbs.  There is always that one bulb that goes out long before it should.

Randall Massey
Teacher of Mathematics
Lifetime audio-electronics junkie

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:19:50 PM
as mr massey says,  plus ge.  for some reason i prefer the sylvania.  cannot give you a reason.  just slightly prefer them.  don

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:17 PM
Hello Shreekant,

Congratulations on your purchase, please do not hesitate to drop by here and ask any questions as you build.

Tube life is dependent on quite a number of factors, some of them are:

1.  How hard you're operating the tube (plate dissipation)
2.  How much the applied heater voltage exceeds the minimum rating
3.  How many power cycles occur within a given time period of operation

I have found that something like an American 6SN7 operated at a conservative operating point and running constantly will last for 4+ years, that is 35,000 hours.

On the other hand, I have seen Chinese 6L6's operated at a conservative operating point last about 4 months in constant operation (~3000 hours).

A 6DN7 in the SEX amp will fall somewhere in the middle.  

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tuffy_puppy

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:33:34 PM
hi again shreekant,  i just remembered you from another forum.  you will, i venture to say, like it better here.  the products sound better and the forum postings are truly helpful and friendly.  after my sex 2.1 arrived and was out of the box i knew almost instantly that my "brand x" products were out the door.  if your sex experience is a good one please do consider one of the bottlehead preamps. very nice.  don

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:05:36 PM
For what it's worth ---

I have the production prototype SEX amp - the one pictured in the manual - from 2004. It provides the sound for my teevision (i.e. home theater - we don't use cable or an antenna, but watch videos almost every day instead.) It has worked fine for 8 years, and still has the original tubes. We are on our third DVD player, however...

Paul Joppa

Offline proud indian

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies !!! This is going to be a fun project.

Don, I needed a change in flavor  ;D  some many tubes.....so little time!!!

shreekant  :)

BTW, I wrote to Doc and got the green signal on using the Vcaps ( 1uf) that I have.

system 1. oppo, quickie,SEX 2.1 ( V cap), Decware DFR8 in ZOB cabs
System 2. Tascam cd200, Terra Dac,Zbox,Decware Zen amp(V cap) Lowther PM6A in Acousta horns.
Maple rack, Brass footers,Power conditioner, dedicated treated room, iso pads, plenty of tubes. All cables DIY.