Have I just been lucky with tubes?

Laudanum · 2145

Offline Laudanum

on: May 25, 2012, 02:24:26 AM
I posted this in the Seduction forum but it's more of a general question, so Im posting here instead ...

It's pretty well known that phonostages are very sensitive to tubes/noise.  You see some of the tube dealers selling their tested, lowest noise tubes that are suggested for phonostage use at premium prices.   I've had to go through 2 or 3 NOS tubes to find tubes quiet enough for use in my Haggerman Cornet which uses 12AX7 and 12AU7.  Still not bad considering none were purchased tested for low noise.    But with the Seduction and the 6922's,  every NOS tube I've rolled in has been quiet and I dont have many.  Started with the Russian 6H23N-EB's which were quiet and Ive been using them since the build.  But I have a pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8's and a pair of Polarad labeled Amperex tubes that I have had for over 10 years.  Also a couple pairs of Philips Jan tubes.   Every single one has been quiet.  None were purchased as low noise tubes, in fact I think they were all ebay tubes.  Even a pair of Westinghouse labeled (bought 10+ years ago)  EI Yugo's are quiet.   Is it just luck or do the 6922's (and 6DJ8 in the case of the Bugle Boys) just tend to be low noise tubes in general?

Thoughts?

Desmond G.

Offline coca

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:31:46 AM
I have always been afraid of the 6DJ8/6922 family of tubes when it comes to noise issues. I think it really has to do with how they are used in a circuit as to whether there will be a noise issue. There are some preamps made to day that one has to be very careful what tubes are used. Some of the Russian tubes work fairly well once you have thenm tested out for noise.

Bernie.

Offline Laudanum

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 02:32:59 AM
I dont know why I didnt remember that ...  I think these tubes did have a reputation for tending to be microphonic, especially the 6DJ8.  Hmmm.  Then maybe I am just really lucky and should count my blessings.  Of course, I havent run in all these tubes to see if any noise develops but those Bugle Boys are singing and they are behaving.  Nice and quiet. 

Desmond G.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:29:18 AM
Since you're bouncing around tube types in your Seduction, it's worth looking at a post PJ did a while ago about wall voltage and tubes in the Seduction:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2531.0.html

Seeing your post reminded me that I wanted to update that thread with some personal experiences.

If you're happy with your tubes, make sure they are happy with you!

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Laudanum

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:54:47 AM
Since you're bouncing around tube types in your Seduction, it's worth looking at a post PJ did a while ago about wall voltage and tubes in the Seduction:
http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2531.0.html

Seeing your post reminded me that I wanted to update that thread with some personal experiences.

If you're happy with your tubes, make sure they are happy with you!

Thanks for the reminder!   I had played with that resistor with the stock EH tubes.  And I think Im back to the original as that's what got my voltages right with the 6H23n-EB's but I cant remember for sure now.  The line voltage fluctuates like crazy here in the summer, from as low as 107 volts (Ive seen it go lower) to just under 120.  I run a surge supp. with voltage regulation but it's not super tightly regulated ... about 115 - 120V with it on line.  Almost seems necessary now with Seduction and the way the linne voltage is here.  Anyway, I will indeed check the voltage and swap that resistor if necessary.  I do have some thankfully.  Thanks again for the reminder.

Desmond G.