Bottlehead, we have a problem

wgrr · 12617

Offline wgrr

on: January 03, 2010, 05:20:29 AM
Went to fire up the S.E.X. amp last night and the tubes did not heat.  I hate it when that happens.

Here is what I no so far.  I have 125 volts into the primary on the main power supply.  I have 177v output on each of the channel power supplies.  I have 6.4v coming out of the heater power supply.  I have nothing coming out of the rectifier. Of course no DCv to ground on pin a8 or b8.  

Never mind.  I fixed it.  I am going to leave this up as an example of why it is important to check the solder joints even if the amp has worked fine for a year.  Use the KISS principle.

Right before I was going to post this, I decided to give the heater power supply a good manual inspection.  I found a lead of the 0.1 watt wire wound resister  broken off of my original bad soldering job.  This broke the heater circuit.  I fixed it and powered the amp up.  The bottles are glowing again.

Bill Ricker
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:28:47 AM by wgrr »

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:33:12 AM
I think someone should thank you for posting this, so I will!

Knowing about problems and their solutions is the great value of forums such as these, IMO, and I suspect that the ones that are solved before posting seldom see the light of day, unfortunately.

Good for you for taking the time!

Jim C.

Offline wgrr

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:03:43 AM
Thank you,  I just wish I knew how to spell know. :~)

Bill Ricker