Winter project

Oldlistener50 · 6413

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 07:51:32 AM
Dan,

Ok, thanks for the explanation -- I'm not going to worry about it then as my only real concern was the 3 or so 300 ohm cans I have, and if the 32 ohm tap works fine with those, no need to introduce potential noise problems, even if it is not a realproblem by your testing.  Think I'd rather have the C4S :D.

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline John Roman

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 09:44:14 AM
Where do I sign up for the first run of Pre's?
John

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:12 AM
Give me a little time to get the final pricing for the 300BeePre figured out and then we will start to take pre-orders. And thanks for the enthusiasm! I'm pretty proud of this one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 10:46:53 AM
Dan,

Is that the official name or do you have to come up with a new one?

Offline Yoder

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 12:56:02 PM
This preamp is a very special one. I feel is a substantial step up in sonics from the very good sounding Foreplay III and a much better match to the resolution and dynamic qualities of the Paramount. I guess what I'm saying is I feel the combo is going to be some of the best sounding gear out there.

Doc, I just started building my Foreplay III a while back to go with the Paramounts I just finished (I am meticulously slow.) I have made a few mods, one of which is to replace the stock shielded wiring with much higher quality stuff. Will there be any suggested mods or add-ons from BH that those of us with the FP III can use to try and approach the sonic quality of the new Foreplay? Kind of reminds me of my first  iMac...bought it, and a month later they came out with a new model.

I am sure that I will have a kick-ass system as it is now, but you know how it is to always be reaching for the stars...

Online Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:38 PM
In the research that led up to the 300B preamp, there were several steps done with FPIII chassis and power supplies. We talked for a long time about going with each of them before finding the next step. So once the dust settles, I imagine either one of them may appear as a product, or there will be some information on doing it yourself. After all you already have the inputs, level controls, switching, and power supply - changing the active circuitry is a relatively small step. Just for an example, there's the Smack circuit.

Paul Joppa

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 06:26:10 AM
Just a few pennies from the peanut gallery on the upcoming 300BeePre (if thats the name). As Dan had previously stated, the Quickie really deserves a second look for those that are on the fence about the $1.2-$1.5K proposed outlay for the 300B. IMO, the Quickie is a must build for the Bottlehead faithful, at least from the line level preamp category starting point. Headphone pre's being a separate category with its own special requirements. Given the ease (and relatively low risk) of modification to the Quickie, I agree with Dan, that there should really be no complaints about the price of the 300B. Get the Quickie first - mod it to your hearts content. Then look toward the 300B if there is that last bit of tube preamp panache that you yen for.

Lately I have been toying with the idea about a DAC upgrade, but I am reconsidering and waiting for the 300BeePre. I just believe so strongly that the pre is the key. If done wrong a preamp will ruin the rest of the sound. I believe tubes can do it right, whether its SS or tubes on power amp side. I believe that the new preamp will be SOTA. Time will tell. In the mean time, dust off that Quickie and play with some caps etc. I think you will be surprised, and also get a good feel for some component 'house sound'.  ;)

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Yoder

Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 01:53:44 PM
Just a few pennies from the peanut gallery on the upcoming 300BeePre (if thats the name). As Dan had previously stated, the Quickie really deserves a second look for those that are on the fence about the $1.2-$1.5K proposed outlay for the 300B.

Not sure if you were addressing my post, so I will respond with my proposed plan. Currently, I am finishing a FP III with an Extended kit. For now this will be used to drive my two Paramounts. I will also have an Eros hooked-up to it. Since this system is going to become the "main" audio system--both analog and digital, then it will do until the next Foreplay comes out. The system in my bedroom is overkill and so I am thinking of purchasing a Stereomour and using my current FP III to drive it in the bedroom. If I remember correctly, there were a few comments complementing the compatibility of the FP III and the Stereomour. I hope to slap a BH DAC into my main BH system also, and will use my current tube DAC for the TV  system. Seems like things will just get better with time.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:36 PM
Yoder - it sounds like you have your hands full with all those systems! If I had that many systems I dont think I would have the 'time' to shower, and tend to other important activities of daily living!

I wasnt really responding to anyone in particular, though it did hit me when Dan (Doc) brought up the Quickie as possible drug of choice if one could not afford the 300B. Not to fear.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Yoder

Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 04:46:53 PM
Yoder - it sounds like you have your hands full with all those systems!

Initially, the audio builds were something for me to do with my new retirement. But...the last few days the building has taken on far more meaning and significance for me.

You know we had the Waldo Canyon fire this summer and it dislocated a lot of wildlife. Unfortunately, my best non-human buddy "Desmond" was killed by coyotes a few nights back. I actually saw the male coyote carry his limp body off. Des was a big cat and was fighting with another cat and I think he was on top. I could hear the sounds of the fight, and then all of a sudden it was quiet. I saw the one male cat haul butt out of there and then saw Des being hauled off. He was the smartest and most affectionate critter I have ever had. He would follow me around the house like a dog, "talk" to me in cool-cat talk, put his front legs around my neck and rub up against my face. Anyway, I was pretty devastated. Hell, I did not leave the house for three days for fear of breaking down in public. I am still trying to get the image of him being hauled off by the beasts out of my head. Heavy blow, but nobody ever said that "primal nature was nice."

This was Desmond

(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.co-bw.com%2FImages%2FDesmond_FaceEffects_sm_2.jpg&hash=6b5dce8b7c65544aacf2e2b034f5683a1965de28)

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 04:58:09 PM
Yoder - I am so sorry for your loss. I was just saying to my wife last night, that if our dog of 12yrs suddenly died I would have to get another one THAT DAY, same bread etc. for my teenage son's sake, but I think it would have to be for myself as well. We love our pets.

Eric

Offline Grainger49

Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 01:52:08 AM
My wife is partial to orange nosed cats, she thought your picture was one of our last two.

Des looks like a happy cat.  Remember him that way.  

Replacement therapy helps.  That is why we have 2 four month old kittens now who drive our dog crazy.

Sam & Ella (Say it)
(https://forum.bottlehead.com/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi244.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg7%2FGrainger49%2FFor%2520Posts%2520Private%2FSamnElla.jpg&hash=aa021312e902de167d37e6eedf2eb96d0e42fc81)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:40:20 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline John Roman

Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 03:47:40 AM
Yoder,
It amazes me how much pets can affect one's life. I was always the guy who "liked" pets but would never own them. Upon hearing that, a friend commented, "you just don't realize how special pets can be". That was several years ago. I currently own two standard Poodle's that came into my life very unexpectedly. They are a tremendous amount of work to train, groom, and care for etc. I too am retired and for the first time in my life believe I'm beginning to understand what my friend meant. They are like children, I talk to them like they were human. Princess lays her head on my bed in the morning and stares at me until I wake, just content to watch. When she see's me stir she paws at me gently as if to say " get up lazy bones, it's time for my walk".
My heart goes out to you having lost Desmond.  My sister has a cat named Angel that has taken to me. She loves to jump up on the counter and drink from the faucet. I think she actually talks to me when she meows. It's a beautiful sound, and one I believe is just between us. I hope you find another friend/pet that will talk to you and help you remember Desmond.
kind regards,
John
a pic of my 1 year old pups, Belle and Princess

Regards,
John
Extended Foreplay 3 / 300B Paramount's / BassZilla open baffle/ Music Streamer 2 / Lenovo Y560-Win7-JRMC & JPlay

Offline Oldlistener50

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 03:04:16 PM
Well, I have decided.  After considering my listening preferences, I have decided to go with... a Crack.

I think a well-built Crack will go well with my Seduction.  I have the utmost appreciation for a nice Crack, as my lovely g/f will attest to.  Ahem.

Anyway, I think this combination will suit my listening needs perfectly.  I plan to do the base and top plate (I love the term "gravity attached") the same way I finished the Seduction, so the two will match.

Question, will this amp work well with my Grado SR-80's or is the impedance wrong?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:32:48 PM by Oldlistener50 »