Firing up unused Speakers/Amps/Pre-amp after 12 years!

sanadsaad · 4859

Offline sanadsaad

on: September 07, 2012, 06:33:33 AM
As some of you may know, I recently became fascinated by audio equipment and found some stuff in my dad's garage from his audiophile days. After building and listening to my Crack on speedball, I thought I should dust and lay everything out in my room and connect em all and see if they still work. Here's the equipment:
Denon DAP-2500 Pre-amp
DENON POA-6600A Amps(4)
A pair of JBL Titanium Series 18Ti Speakers
A pair of JBL Studio series S26BE speakers
A pair of JBL Studio Series S321 speakers
A pair of JBL Titanium Series 250Ti Speakers

There's a pioneer CD player and a turntable but as I dont have any records, i'll be connecting my laptop to the preamp and using 24 bit files. Lets see how everything turns out! Pics to follow.

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:38:04 AM
I love digin up old stuff and playing with it! Makes for good sound comparisons from old to new.

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:42 AM
If you want to be gentle with the electronics bring them up on a variac.  Go to 1/3 voltage and let it sit for 10 minutes, then to 2/3 voltage for 10 minutes and finally to full voltage.

The speakers might have started to sag if they have been tweeter up for 12 years.  Rotate the woofer 180 degrees.  This pulls in the opposite direction.

Then tell us how it sounds!

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:18:19 PM
Sanaad!!!--find a record and hook up that turntable-since you are on a voyage of discovery this one more step to vinyl is worth the effort
howie

Offline earwaxxer

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:18:42 PM
I found a 60's or 70's vintage Marantz receiver in a yard sale once about 15ys ago. It was beautiful! I remember it from that time growing up around audio. It was missing one nob, but otherwise great shape. It was powerful as well. I think it was 125wpc. I did 'fire it up' for a brief audition. It sounded 'ok', but certainly not up to current day standards. I ended up selling it when me moved. Fun to look at though!

Eric
Emotiva XPA-2, Magnepan MMG (mod), Quickie (mod), JRiver, Wyrd4sound uLink, Schiit Gungnir, JPS Digital power cord, MIT power cord, JPS Labs ultraconductor wire throughout, HSU sub. powered by Crown.

Offline sanadsaad

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:14:33 AM
They worked perfectly! The sound from the 250Ti speakers is amazing! Grainger, I dont have a variac. Im surprised they worked as well as they did. The turntable didnt power up. I'll have to get it checked to see what's wrong. I need to understand speakers, amplifiers, preamps and everything about audio. Where do I start? Also, what would be the best way to connect my macbook to the hifi? The sound quality left a lot to be desired even though I was playing back 24/192 files. Here's the sound chain:

Macbook pro to 3.5mm to RCA out > Denon preamp > Denon amplifiers > Speakers.

I have a lot of learning to do regarding audio so once I head back to the UK, I can invest in a proper sound system with a turntable and a vinyl library. How did I take this long to get hooked on audio when my dad had all this equipment when I was growing up?

EDIT: Any bottlehead member living in UK? Possibly near Slough/Windsor/Birmingham and would be willing to be bothered by me in the future?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:36:35 AM by sanadsaad »

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 04:57:34 AM

Offline Grainger49

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 05:08:05 AM
I think Hank is saying that the DAC inside the MacBook and the headphone amplifier is limiting the sound of your files.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 03:16:42 PM
That's correct, Grainger. The Stereophile review strongly suggests using the DragonFly internal digital volume control(64 position!) connected directly to one's amp for a super-sounding and cheap(@$250) setup. I'd be happy with that until the Bottlehead Dac arrives.

Offline sanadsaad

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:41:42 PM
Hank, sadly it only ships to US addresses! It would have been a good solution, other than burning these files to discs and playing through the CD player. Bottlehead's coming out with a DAC?

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 08:43:00 AM
I'll bet the usual US companies I get emails from will ship to you.  Try Audio Adviser, Musical Surroundings, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disk.