You need a bigger chassis plate!

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #61 on: September 30, 2012, 02:32:13 PM
Jim,
Take this with a grain of salt, it may be proud papa syndrome but I think it's a definite improvement, like >50% than my other DIY effort.  The quality of iron (all Magnequest) and some boutique resistors definitely make a difference.  I haven't heard any of Mike's nickel irons but the M4 outputs and chokes seem excellent.  And I haven't started tube rolling yet.  Voices are clear and all the mids sound distinct.  Bass is full (thats the best I can describe it, my horns don't go very deep but I don't see the need for my sub yet, not on classical music, I may later once I start into my jazz and blues collection.
Oh, and it's alot louder than I thought it would be.
Now I have whittle about 20 45's down to a good 4 to 6 and about double the amount of 12AT7's to a resonable amount of backups.  And maybe for Christmas I can squeeze in a pair of 45 mesh plates.

Paul,
Definitely, but I'm terrible on layout and such.  It was much easier on me to make it fit onto a pre-cut chassis plate.  Also I just wanted to see if I could do it.  Even if it would've come out terrible, I enjoyed building it.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's