Heat?

johnsonad · 2679

Offline johnsonad

on: March 29, 2013, 03:06:41 AM
My BeePre is hotter than any BH product I've had to date. This is normal correct? The entire top plate is hot to the touch. I've got it raised a few inches and there is 6" of clearance above the tubes.

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron Johnson

Offline debk

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:01:48 AM
Mine puts out a fair amount of heat also

Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:54:57 AM
Yeah, the BeePre runs nice and warm.  The 300B and EL84 in each channel create a fair amount of their own heat, as do those three 10 watt resistors per channel.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline johnsonad

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:09:18 AM
Thanks. Another room heater can't hurt ;)

Aaron Johnson

Offline BNAL

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:49:01 AM
Aaron,

You live in SOCAL! I think you will need to bump the thermostat down a few degrees. How is the cross breeze at your place?

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:34:07 PM
A quick check is whether the two power transformers seem to be equally hot. If they are, then the two channels are drawing about the same power, so there's no single-channel error.

The transformers should be around 120-140 degrees on the surface. The dual DC heater supplies will make a lot of heat under the chassis though.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnsonad

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:41:44 PM
They are equally warm :), thanks Paul.

Aaron Johnson

Offline xcortes

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:44:26 AM
Paul, I hope you're talking Fahrenheit!

Xavier Cortes

Offline mp9

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 11:26:26 AM
Any stock parts replaceable with another manufactures version of the same that'll generates less heat, i.e., power transformers, 10watt resistors etc.?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 12:50:20 PM
@Xavier, yes, sorry! My current goal is to stay below 60C = 140F for surface temps. Power tubes will usually run 140C to 200C on the surface, FWIW.

@MP9, most components such as resistors and tubes will generate the same amount of heat independent of manufacturer or design, as long as they are working correctly in the circuit as designed.

The exception is transformers. A larger transformer will have more room for copper windings, which can then be lower resistance, wasting less energy as heat, and run cooler - they will also have a larger cooling surface, getting rid of their heat more efficiently and thus running cooler. But the cost of transformers is roughly proportional to their weight, and a larger transformer usually means a larger, thicker chassis to mount it on - so it drives up the cost pretty fast.

There is a more subtle design balance going on, with copper losses against magnetic headroom and core (magnetic) losses. But the net heat savings potential is fairly small, and the sonic penalties are (IMHO) not small.

Paul Joppa